Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Roll bar GoPro mount advice

Temple Cloud

Not sure what you mean by stable, are you looking for something that just holds the camera in place in a secure manner or are you looking for some kind of mount which has some sort of stabilisation built in?.
If it's the former then all I've used in the past is a cheap roll bar/large diameter pipe mount (cost me around £7 a few years back) off Amazon, with some old bicycle inner tube wrapped inside to protect the roll bar.  
Im sure someone will be along with something far more exotic *smile*

5DDBA8AB-4E04-4FB7-8636-20A612FE61DD.thumb.jpeg.68b97b819572b0e454c91485dfe8bb9a.jpeg

• Area Representative

IMG_75912.thumb.jpg.e899c861643e3fc0ee03ffae831c3fbc.jpg

GoPro large tube mount.  USB-C power lead so no battery life issues.

I also use an external microphone inside the car to eliminate the wind noise

DerekH

• Area Representative

I'm using a Hero 9, battery life is only an hour so USB lead removes this problem.

I normally use a Rode video microphone and mount, a friend has a Sure microphone under the bonnet.  

The built in GoPro microphone will clip when it cant cope with the wind noise and adds harsh popping noise to your video.  Plenty of knowledge on here.

Last years fish & chip run 

DerekH

• Area Representative

I use a pretty cheap remote mic under dash.

using image stabilisation seems pretty popular with cameras that have it, but I really don't like watching these clips where it looks like the camera is swinging from side to side....

with a solid mount, there is no need to use image stabilisation.

Seems to work nicely. Thanks. Yes, there's a lot of debate about the whole concept of stabilisation as stabilised images aren't always the cleanest and also you can stabilise in post if it's needed. So I'll be doing some tests with my cameras to see which works best. Starting with the most solid images is obviously the first step...

• 1 month later...

Turned off the Hypersmooth stuff for Snetterton last week, and popped the Smartlav just under the dash; in the passenger footwell, but clipped onto the underside of the carbon. Nice thin edge works a treat. I think the sound quality was much better there…