Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Brake upgrade advice

Temple Cloud

I'm a noob and have just bought my first 7 having come from a long line of slightly more modern, more 'digital' sports cars. I consider the 7 somewhat more 'analogue' than most other cars and all the better for it.

Anyway, she's a 1995 1.7l X flow producing just 135bhp but with a low mileage in a great condition. And I'm looking forward very much to owning her.

However, I do drive in what you would call a 'spirited' manner on the road and like to brake late and hard. So, on that note are there any brake upgrades that are likely to be beneficial to my style of driving ? Like, for instance, upgraded master cylinder, brake fluid, better pads etc ? Will only be used on the road.....probably........

Thanks for any advice

Good pads are all that's needed on the front (eg. Mintex 11/55). Standard brakes are used on race cars up to 310R (152hp) and are plenty strong enough to lock the wheels.

Presumably you've got drums on the back which I understand benefit from careful setup, but I don't know much about them.

I have over winter fitted the larger Master cyl and 4 pot calipers with vented discs. The cars only gone round the block a couple of times so pads not bedded yet. I can tell though the brakes are much better and well worth the upgrade. Bleeding is a bit problematic in so much as trapped air can be challenging to get rid of but tilting rear calipers and persistent bleeding resolves the issue.

The AP master cylinder is a good upgrade though I'm not sure its a straight swap on the older cars, some of which have a 3 outlet master cylinder.

My advice would be check the condition of what you have and fresh brake fluid. Any dubious looking parts then consider new discs, mintex pads, new Ital wheel cylinders and shoes.

Tazio had his M/C refurbished on his crossflow and it came back looking like new.

Re brake fluid I use Comma dot 4 from Halfords - check out the member benefits area to get you 10% halfords discount voucher.

Pagids are great for racing (though some find them a bit on/off) but the race compounds don't really work on the road as they don't tend to reach high enough temperatures. They're also not technically road legal, which could possibly cause problems with insurance if you have a claim.

With Caterhams you have to be very aware of brake and tyre cooling on the front wheels. The problem is that the cooling from the air flow can be too efficient and at the end of a long straight you may have less braking than you think you will have, due to over cooling. Pads that need a lot of heating to work properly can be a problem. You also have to be careful for prolonged slow use behind slower cars during a yellow flag, it takes 2-3 times as much time to get the pads and tyres back to temperature again compared with heavier Porsches and BMWs.