Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tracking (increase/decrease) clock wise or anticlockwise.

CtrMint

Hi All, 

I'm going to be doing a string alignment today in the garage.   Having faffed with the steering column in the autumn I think it's over by one spline, causing a very slight offset in the steering wheel.  I figure its a good opportunity to get do my first alignment. 

The method seems simple, but could I possibly ask which way should I rotate the track rod to increase or decrease the toe. Probably obvious to seasoned pros, but thought it worth checking, only a minor adjustment is required so I don't want to move in the wrong direction.

Thanks

Mark, it will become quite clear when you start. I'm sure I'm right in saying both sides are RH thread so you loosen the locknut and then wind the track rod into the rod end to pull that side wheel in at the front. 

Wind the track rod out of the rod end to push that side wheel out at the front. 

So  if your steering wheel is canted to the offside, you need to wind the off side TR out and the near side TR in.

Put a paint mark on top of the TR so you know where you're starting from and move a 1/4 turn at a time. 

• Leadership Team

"One spline out" would likely result in more than "a very slight offset".

If you're doing a full front alignment check my advice would be to start by checking that the rack is properly centred.  Count the turns of the steering wheel either side of straight ahead until the end of travel is reached and if that is not symmetrical adjust the spline joint until the number of turns either side of 'straight ahead' is matched.  With the rack properly centred, you then need to look at the alignment.

As the tie rods are mounted in front of the hub/steering axis, turning the rod so that the ball joint moves further outboard will push the front of the wheel further outwards too, thereby increasing toe-out.  Conversely, moving the ball joint further inboard will increase toe-in.  Just make sure you achieve symmetry of alignment (at whatever toe-in/toe-out setting you are aiming for) with the steering wheel pointing straight ahead.

James

First off thanks everyone for the input.

The job took all day, and for once completed without a fault.  The steering is now absolutely center and the car drives spot on, at least on the road.  It's complete true without any bias whatsoever.   I've taken onboard the feedback with respect to the track rod length and balance, but I'll aimed to have a nose at that during the warmer summer months, its still a little chilly out there.  

Can you confirm what I should do with respect to checking and adjusting the balance if there is an offset. 

thanks

Yes, when driving the steering wheel is bang on center, and they is no bias in the direction the 420R drives. 

I don't have any turn plates, so will need to get the nose cone off to easily check lock to lock.

I didn't check the 420R with ballast. My understanding that's mainly for corner weighting. 

Also best to ballast for the optimum usage for the car, for track use just ballast on the drivers seat, for frequent fast road use with a passenger, ballast on both the driver and passenger seats. With the adjustable damper platforms, I have about 15mm more tension in the driver side platforms to have the car level with just the driver in it.

The rear suspension is setup accounting for the weight from a driver.  
Though I have to say the 420 is for touring and moderately quick driving. So long as it handles I'm happy, and it does.  I've never driven it and felt it struggling to handle and of course with the Penskes it's rides even better.  
If I want real fast blast on track or road, I'll use the 620.