Click here if you are having website access problems ×

csr on carpark

Bigape

Sorry about the previous post wouldnt register from my samsung 21 obviously to old .

Pulled into petrol station filled up , tried to start -ignition light on gauges flickered , no sound from fuel pump ( this always sounds) wouldnt turn over. Tried jump starting and bump starting , not having it.

Recovered to home been on charge for 4 hrs everything works lights etc ,still will not turn over will put a meter on the battery in the morning but a little stumped.

never had this problem before,

Thank you for your comments in advance,

best regards,

Malcolm.

What engine and model?

Any recent work on it?

Has the engine been drowned recently?

And not turning over on the starter at all? Nothing? No click?

Measure battery voltage at rest and as you try to start and let us know. Check fluid levels in cells if appropriate.

Check fuel pump and ECU fuses.

When you turn the immobiliser off what does the light do?

Check inertia switch connections and reset switch.

You've got a multimeter. Would you like a wiring diagram?

Separate starter button or on ignition switch? Check connections and if the latter wiggle the key as you try to start.

Check relevant wires and connections: battery, ECU, starter, and relevant earths. Inspect, wiggle, disconnect, clean, reconnect.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Its  a CSR 200,

no previous work all being runing fine fro last service,

did have a problem comming home from top gear , baiscally hit standing water on m5 in middle lane ended up 2 inches away from concrete bridge perpendicular to flow  of traffic in saftey lane very lucky ,thought i was drowning at the time when the bow wave enveloped the car ,water level over my lap in the cockpit car stalled but started straight away and contiuned home never again will i travel in them conditions so it has been wet but ive had it out many times since then without problems and it was well dried out at the time.

trying to start no click ,

inertia switch has been pushed tried seems ok

i had a loose wire on alternator all fine now,

all on charge give it a go in the morning,

cheers for the check list,

No click... broken cable in feed from ignition switch to starter button to MFRU to solenoid on starter ? Disconnect this small cable at the starter and get a new piece of cable with a connector on the end. Connect this to the solenoid terminal. With ignition on and car in neutral, touch the other end of this cable on the +ve terminal of the battery. Expect a spark ... hold cable there, starter should turn. If it does, suspect cable broken inside insulation near hot primaries.

I had the starter motor solenoid cable ring terminal fracture on me at the track last summer. No warning, car started fine one session, came to start it to go out for the next session and nothing.

Crimped on a new ring terminal and zip tied the wiring in a few more places to give it support, to hopefully avoid fatigue fracture of the terminal in the future.

Looking back at your original post you say no fuel pump click and engine will not turn, which does suggest an inertia switch problem?  Before trying #5, I would bypass the inertia switch to see if it resolves the issue?  John Vine explains how to do so in #13 here

https://www.caterhamlotus7.club/forum/techtalk/what-thing-and-what-does-it-do?page=1

Thank you all for your help. Taken the car into Kenricks of Llangollen  great crowd. Mentioned it shouldnt be much of a problem.

I hope not. I like using the car all the year round.( Plenty of lubrication). My size and youngness does not help. Ill keep you posted on the results.

on another note i was shown their collection of cars very impressive. He mentioned they bought an Audi qattro 8 years ago

for £ 30k sold it couple of weeks ago for £ 140k very nice investment better than leaving it in the bank. He did mention he was unable to find any other cars that where suitable for quite some time to invest into . Surprise surprise !