Click here if you are having website access problems ×

420R Oil cooler pipe routing?

BrettJ

Could someone please confirm if I have routed the pipe from the dry sump to the oil cooler correctly? There appears to a silent dent in the pipe as can be seen in the first photo, or will this pop out once the pipe is warms up?

thumbnail_IMG_0517.jpg.bb3575cb13c2502eb51f1dd4e0eb3470.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0518.jpg.1c96fc682958a78c97a94726f53d65f5.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0519.jpg.047a8949a4d03b2a9986965791f0539f.jpg

• Leadership Team

Sorry I can't help with the routing for a Duratec, I have no idea, but regarding the dent it will remain in place and not change when the oil is flowing. Whether it's an issue depends upon the extent of the dent, it's quite common to have a slight flattening kink in a hose without issue, but clearly if it's too much it will impede flow.

Stu.

Brett - looks like you've done the same as I did on my 2021 build. When I took it to Gatwick for its PBC I mentioned that I had spent a while trying unsuccessfully to align it above the bottom chassis rail - as I was concerned it was exposed & therefore vulnerable. When I collected the car they had cable-tied a split hose around the oil hose - not sure how much protection that will really give but I suppose every little bit helps.

large_Oilpipe1.jpg.474f5fb25a344dfcc5f0adf8f91e87e6.jpg

large_Oilpipe2.jpg.1eaf40a2017d7fd3016757c79a5bbb5d.jpg

Cheers, Richard

Richard, it looks to me as there has been a spec change on that hose between Bretts car and yours.  The hose adapter angle is above 90 degrees on a 2019 kit, but your 2021 kit seem to have a 90 degree bend, that would relieve a tiny bit of tension in the hose.  Brett you also look to has a slight oil leak from the connector.

Thanks for all the feedback, I have routed the pipe as suggested. However I still have the kink and now an additional one too, which can be seen in the second photo.

Oilpipe1.jpg.a464a04c7af7209040d1a7561f709349.jpg

Oilpipe3.jpg.3176bc806a098b551f421870482baa8f.jpg

Oilpipe4.jpg.1aeebe28c7a8499415daadcb9478d7d2.jpg

Oilpipe10.jpg.cc64e7adcd7f2026799ecc1363e6f8ee.jpg

I have email CC asking for a replacement as I believe this pipe might be shorter than expected.

• 3 weeks later...

@ 7 Wonders, yes I did as you suggested and did help. Thanks.

@ ChrisC, I have been looking through the manual and blogs, and I think we both may have connected the oil pipes incorrectly. As the outbound oil pipe from the sump should go to the off-side of the oil cooler and the near-side connects goes to the dry sump tank. See the diagram below, can you confirm which way you have done this and if this was picked up in your PBC?

DrySump.png.359547aa189d82d7e91164f13c543266.png

Hi Brett, I took photos at the factory of how to route the oil cooler hoses, because at the time there was no manual that covered  a Duratec build with the combined oil cooler/ radiator, and my car was built based on factory at the time.  Agreed based on that image it looks like the flow through the oil cooler could be reversed, but that manual is riddled with mistakes, from swapping to sigma engines half way through, to showing the defunct cut down nut and omitting fitting the gear stick (I could go on).   It also seems the manual is getting further out of date :-( as changes are ongoing with 2022 kits, like new diff carriers, UJs and throttle cables etc.

Since I have no leaks, kinks and have been through PCB without any corrections I won't be in a rush to change anything on my car, but I am interested in the part numbers used on the oil lines to see if there has been a change.  I will check with the 2022 420R kit builder.

Interesting edo factory build (don't know when) is using the same part number hose for the oil return, which can't reach the RHS of the oil cooler, so it much be plumbed as mine.   But Handwheels car has the 90 degree bend on the oil return so that must be connected to the RHS (longest hose has two 90 degree bends). It also must mean the top connector to the dry sump tank as the obtuse angle connector.  I will have to check next time I see that car ;-). Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently building a 420R S3.  I queried the oil pipe routes with Caterham and received the following answers which only make sense if read in conjunction with my original numbered queries so I have added those below the Caterham answer:

Caterham said

"The radiator, oil cooler and subsequently the oil pipes have all been revised recently, therefore the routing has changed which is yet to be reflected in the assembly guide.

1. The end closest to the label should also have a lighter coloured union. This union should be connected to the oil tank.
  2. This hose connects between the sump and straight to the passenger side of the oil cooler (the opposite side of the oil cooler currently depicted in the assembly guide).
  3. This pipe connects between the top of the oil tank and down to the driver’s side of the oil cooler (the opposite side of the oil cooler currently depicted in the assembly guide)."

My query that gave rise to those answers above  is set out below:

" I'm starting on the oil pipe work, in particular the Dry Sump Hoses as per pages 56 to 73 of the manual. I'll ignore the fact that some of the diagrams show the wrong radiator as I don't think it is relevant to my questions.

1. Let me start with pages 68-69, let's call it Oil Pipe 1.  In the manual the Oil pipe part is shown as 39C059.  I have what I guess to be a later revision 059A. The shape is different to the manual. There is no right-angled bend at one end and a longer straight piece at the other.  The bends at each end of the pipe I have look very similar. Please confirm which end fits onto the sump. Is it the end with the label or the other end?
  2. Pages 70-71, called Oil Pipe 2.  The manual says 39C060, again I have what I assume is a later revision 060A. Here we have a big difference between the pipe shown in the manual and the one supplied. I have to assume the right-angle bend goes onto the sump.  However, the other end is shown in the manual as also having a right-angled bend.  The pipe I have is straight with no bend.  Has something changed and what is the correct route for this pipe?
  3. Pages 72-73 called Oil Pipe 3. The manual does not give a number for this pipe. The one supplied is CAT3AE212A.  The manual shows this pipe as having a right-angled bend at the Tank and a straight connection into the cooler. The pipe supplied has two right-angled bends. It is not clear how this is supposed to route and connect.

Taking the three oil pipes supplied and using my numbering of them as Pipe 1, 2 & 3 could you please let me know their start and end points and which end of each pipe is connected to each point. In particular could you address the issues with pipes 2 and 3 where the joint shape shown in the manual is different to the pipe supplied."

• 1 year later...

It is almost 2 years since this post and guess what - I just emailed CC about this very problem. Pity that I didn't check here first. Now I fear I have to redo these pipes.

To make matters a bit more confusing...my 420SV is a LH/US based car.

Lowndes - thank you for posting this.