Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series 421 SLR system fitting?

pkw2704

ok, finding out 421 systems for a K series are a bit thin on the ground used,so I have sold my soul and purchased new from Caterham . I will be fitting it over the coming month once I get the car MOT'd

Any tips on cutting the hole in the body (tools and technics used?) .Also considering giving the system a polished finish,again tips welcome.Do I have to change anything under the bonnet on my 2005 s3 imp chassis? Alternator and starter ok?,would you used wadding to keep the heat down?

• Area Representative

Hi there,

I did exactly this to my last 7 and compiled some notes on how to do it.

PM your email address and I'll forward a word doc - I also have a scale template for the shape & size hole you need to make.

Cheers

Nick

On a K there are two considerations / schools of thought...

- Wrapping helps reduce under bonnet temps and protect the starter and alternator from excessive heat.

- Wrapping causes heat build up in the head and can cause ally to soften.

My primaries are wrapped / painted with cool-tec products. 24 years old soon and on original starter, alternator and head.

Ian

thinking of wrapping mine ,found some sleeve stuff and will give it a try. Wondered if the flow is better, will the heat be less,or am i talking rubbish.The stuff I have seen is looser than the wrap ,so heat transfer in the bay is reduced. So no need to spin the back of the alternator terms ?

• Leadership Team

My SLR has non wrapped primaries and a basic heat wrap for the WOSP starter and I've had no issues.  

I'd previously wrapped the primaries but discovered one of the brass inserts in the plastic cam cover backplate had become loose because the plastic around it had melted. I couldn't be sure but felt the only reason could be the exhaust wrap causing a higher than normal cylinder head temperature which is a known problem. Subsequently I removed the wrap and I'm unlikely to use again.

By comparison my old '95 1400 suffered starter problems due to the primaries running very close to the o/e starter, primary no.4 on the SLR system has quite a lot more clearance.

Stu.