Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which to do first??

pkw2704

As in #4, extra horses rarely makes the car go any faster, it just loads up other parts of the drive train which might not be up to it and simply changing one component can highlight deficiencies elsewhere but if it’s serious top trumps down the pub you’re after and you have deep pockets, go ahead, spend and enjoy!

If you just want the car to go faster there are much cheaper, more effective ways of going about it, cheapest of all is to learn to drive it properly, first stop is Carroll Smith’s “Drive to win”, borrow my copy, it won’t cost you a bean.

Next sort out the tyre pressures, the difference is huge.

If you’re ready to start spending, a decent chassis set up to maximise what you’ve already got is next, and if you can afford it, put some decent dampers on it, the best ones you can afford or get the existing ones serviced.

For racing or serious track day amusement beef up the brakes or even just optimise the pads you’re using.

Don’t know what diff you’re using but going down to a 3.9 gives the car extra zip.

For me, only when all the above is ticked would I even consider touching the engine.

not after bragging rights ,but at 140 with 2 up i notice a difference.To get it around 160-165 would be the sweet spot IMHO, nice and ample for road use.My old elise was around 170-175 and it suited it well,especially with the c/r box

• Area Representative

I know what you mean but although my Crossflow started out as somewhere around 130 (ordinary Supersport set up) and is now somewhere a little over 150, other things make more difference to the way it feels, including my mood.

IMO, you will still notice the difference between driving solo and two up.  Only if your passenger is of the stature and build of, for example, Jane Horrocks will it not be clear.

No I haven't had Ms Horrocks as a passenger but my niece has a similar frame and the difference between having her as a passenger or my father is/was perfectly obvious.

• Leadership Team

Potentially the problem that exists is that your current spec of car is a long way from what you want, and making further engine changes are not really worthwhile unless you start with a better exhaust, absolutely no point looking at throttle bodies etc at this stage.

New exhausts are expensive and that could be the deciding factor, if you can't find anything used that is suitable in a sensible timeframe you might be better trading the car for something closer to what you want.

Stu.

Re #32, it's interesting what the new normal is, rather like red wine.  Back in the day 12% was "about right", in the Rothschild museum up at Mentmore there's a display of all the Mouton Rothschild labels back over the last century or so, most of them 11 1/2 - 12% until the recent vintages where it gets up to 13%.  These days it's rare to come across any red wine less than 13%.

Same with 7's, the old supersprint spec with a 135bhp Kent or twin cam was deemed to be "about right".  How tastes change.