Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Broke one of the headlight dip / high switches - Not sure part number

C7 Owl

Hi 

I was at Hethel a few weeks ago and while unwinding the steering wheel through a corner my hand flew off somehow and snapped one of the plastic toggle switches to the right of the steering wheel on my dash.  I think it is the headlight dip/ high toggle but im not sure as its a long time since I drove at night and last time I did I just left it on dip.  It is the left hand of the two.  

I think this part should replace it but not sure.  https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/knurled-ring-toggle-switch-on-on-changeover-double-pole

I have a Caterham superlight year 2000 1.6 kseries with the Carbon dash.  Could anyone confirm this is the right part.  

Thanks 

Phiroze

The main beam/ dipped beam switch clicks into either position. The headlamp flash switch is spring-loaded to one position.

But if you can't work out which it is from that and playing with them then please tell us the wire colours.

That link is to a switch with a white metal round-ended switch lever. My S3 has black plastic flattened levers. Which would you like?

Jonathan

Thinking about it Im sure the one that snapped off was the one that clicks into either position.  Being a clumsy oaf, metal will probably be best.  Do you know the part number for the metal toggle lever by any chance?  Might replace both so they match, if you have spring loaded part number also that would be great.  

Thanks

The dipped / main switch is usually called an ON-ON where the central contact is common and distributes power to either of the other two connectors depending on switch position.

Headlight Flasher is Momentary ON.

Indicator is ON-OFF-ON

I also have a switch in the Temp gauge circuit as I have a temp sender in the water and one in the oil. This is also an ON-ON

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Part has arrived. I ordered the metal one from r500. Tested it works but cant work out how to get old one off. Its hard to access and cant get at the nut at back. Is there a tool for turning the serated surround that is visible on dash? Pliers not working. Any advice appreciated.