Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting new wiper blades to wiper arms...

Nick Bassett

• Area Representative

Hi folks,

Fitting my windscreen to the 7 this week for he first time in a number of years - want to have the option of some protection on the Fish n Chip run this coming weekend!

Found my blades and arm - both are new. One is ready to put of the car - no problem there, but the other is a new arm with a new blade. I know how to slide the arm into the blade part and place the locating nipple in the correct place, but it is too loose to fit to the car.

What am I doing wrong? It looks identical to the other blade/arm that is nice and tight!

Should i just glue or does anyone have any hints or tips? If glue is the solution - any recommendations of type etc?

Thanks!

I've never heard of gluing. 

Is the difference between the two sides the resting position of the little spring lever?

If you swap blades on arms which side is loose?

Jonathan

PS: Remember to check that the top end of the blade doesn't touch the frame. I once abraded the nice black finish by forgetting about this.

• Area Representative

Hi Jonathan,

Sorry - I'm no sure what you mean.

The arm enters the receptacle and pushing it in, the locating nipple 'locates'. I have wondered if I should slide something between the arm and the spring lever to make it a really snug fit, thereby stopping them from parting. I did try this yesterday by trying to insert the end of a tie wrap between the two, but even that was too thick!

I don't want to end up messing around with the other - that currently is nice aand tight, so want to leave well alone!

• Area Representative

The looseness is between the arm and the blade - nothing else.

The other blade/arm I have is nice and tight - I can't pull them apart, whereas the other one will part quite easily and I fear that if fitted and I use the wipers, they will part leaving me with an arm scoring my lovely screen!

• Area Representative

Yes I there are tabs John - I have had the pliers on them already, but suspect there is a bit more fettling to be done.

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something - looks like I'm not, so will have another play later on to try and sort it out.