Click here if you are having website access problems ×

420R rev range

7oaks

Hi All

My first year of trackday driving my 2016 420R SV and I'm wondering about gear selection.

I seem to spend most of the time between 4k and 6k revs.  Is that too low, I'm not chasing /100ths just curious if I'm generally using the wrong gears!

The engine noise doesn't really encourage higher revs, at 6k it's already v loud and I find I change up due to mechanical sympathy but maybe I need some ear plugs?

Per google, torque curve is pretty flat and (hence) power curve fairly straight, so not sure I would be going any quicker.  Have another trackday next Monday (Brands) so will give it a go at higher revs but good to hear your own experiences.

Thanks

David

Mine has the limiter at about 7800 so mostly it's between 6 and the red line on track. To get the most performance from the 420 you will need to be over 6k. Certainly, that's where mine starts to really fly. Oh. And wear earplugs for safety. 

The earplug thing had always baffled me because I have a 420R and have never considered it to be particularly excessively loud on the move (in terms of sportsbike kind of loud). It has been the only 7 I have driven so have never had anything to compare it to.

My car however has the rear exit exhaust and this week, for the first time, I had the opportunity to drive someone else's Duratec engined car (360R). This had the standard side exit exhaust and I can now understand the earplug thing. From the cockpit, the difference in volume is huge.

Andy