Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Thinking of one of these.

Beagler

I found the wheel that came with the car as slightly too small and thick rimmed.  It was replaced with a 13inch Astrali just like you are looking at.  If I was doing it again I would get a dished version as I had to get a spacer to help it clear my thighs.

What car is it going on, how will it be used?

I have two wheels for my car; one is 270mm, the other 290mm so both are much smaller than 13". They do feel different to each other and I would think the difference in feel between the smaller one and that Astrali would be significant so would recommend you get the car and see how it is with whatever it's got before you decide on changing. I would also try to test a bigger wheel before you commit, if possible. 

I prefer the smaller of the two I have, it's a little heavy at low speed but feels really good once rolling. 

I’d imagine that 13-inch is at the large end of the viability scale for a modern Seven. The MotoLita wheel, as seen in the second of ACFowles’s pic is about 11.5 inches; that wheel became the de facto ‘standard’ item for many years (it was, strictly speaking, an option), and a lot of folks opt for a smaller one.

It will depend rather on your height, your seat choice and your driving position as to whether you can actually get your legs under the wheel and drive comfortably. I’d advise not splashing out on a new wheel until you’ve tried driving with the one supplied. Even if you then want to change it purely on aesthetic grounds it will give you an idea whether a change of size is desirable or viable for you. 

• Leadership Team

A riveted wood Moto-Lita is a true steering wheel investment, I wouldn't fit one to the Caterham (I prefer a leather Momo) but this is an old one I've recently refurbished for the Mini we're rebuilding:

62460805-8BA3-4AA0-B365-2E7D9AF4E32D.thumb.jpeg.7a39765ff5dc90743996eb836bd18ab3.jpeg

Stu.