Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can I come and play in class 1 in this car?

Stevecaterham7

My plan to get a car for 2022 has gathered pace because I'm an inpatient child!

My plan is for my son to race with me, and as he's only going to be 16 I want to start in class 1. 

PT have this really nice 270 spec, which we can get put back down to 125bhp to put in class 1, but before I push the button I just wanted to check I haven't missed anything in the regs which would disallow that approach. The car in question is this one:

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/12035399

welcome any thoughts or feedback 

Hi Steve

As you rightly say it will need a full cage or FIA roll bar with the petty strut and of course the engine will need to go back to Academy spec., 125 bhp,  maximum power in class 1 is 130 bhp.

You will need different tyres, the Toyo's on the car are List 1b, class 1 is limited to list 1a and almost everybody uses Yokohama A539's. You could probably sell the wheels and tyres on the car and buy wheels with the correct tyres on without any extra  cost.

We look forward to seeing you both in 2022!

Hi Steve, just a couple of thoughts on the car.

Enjoy your search for a car, try as many as possible.

Strange it has no air box to the bonnet vents for a 135-270 car its standard.

The set up on it is for a earlier fixed cam 125bhp car not the ti-vct engine in the car.

Also odd the fire extinguisher pull is missing from the centre of the dash, perhaps its had a new dashboard?

For a black pack car the fuel filler is silver not black

The car has the cut out on the driver's sidescreen for a cage or side impact.

I looked at a few ex-acadamey cars of 2013,2014 vintage and my views are based on all.the cars I viewed.

Steve

As you can probably gather we are a friendly championship and we rely a lot on the honesty of competitors, which works as the competition is very close. We keep an eye on speed trap figures and if we saw your car was significantly faster on the straight than others in the class we would have a word with you. We have never yet asked any competitor to verify the power of their car.

Intro to sprinting would be good for you to attend if you have a car by then, 18th September.

K7 VCT is right that it is missing the airbox that is standard on a VCT (variable cam timing) engined Academy car. This may be because it raced in the Sigma class of the Caterham Graduates which, a few years ago, catered for both VCT and the earlier non-VCT engines. To equal up performance, the VCT cars had a higher minimum weight and had to to replace the airbox with the setup seen on this car.

It looks like a nice car but I would ask PT to put an airbox on it to put it back to its original Academy spec and make sure you don't miss out on a couple of BHP.

Thanks for the feedback and insight folks. PT have confirmed they'll put the correct airbox on it, and also swap seats to tillets.

If we can agree on price then this looks like the one, and I'll book myself onto the introduction to sprinting. I have sprinted before, but a reminder will be good and will be really useful for my son.

Getting excited now...

Steve

it is a strange anomaly that you have to have a DVLA license for the intro to sprinting, this is because we use our club insurance to cover third party liability. As you probably know you can get an MSUK license at 16 and you are then covered by MSUK insurance in sanctioned events.

So your son will be welcome to attend the intro day but unfortunately will not be allowed to drive.

Sorry to pit a little damper on things but I am sure he will pick up the driving side really quickly.