Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Live Axle clunk

Yellowperil98

Just changed the rear A frame bushes and the difference in the (live axle) car is remarkable as in better with the drive train feeling much tighter in all respects apart from....almost no clunking anymore when cornering. The old girl used to have a good clunk on most tight corners, now it is just occasional. I haven't touched the nuts and bolts etc where the A frame connects to the chassis...should these be looked at, even though I note there are no bushes at these points. Any other suggestions will be well received. It seems a loud clunk is par for the course on these from a couple of other owners I have met, although I struggle to think it is right, even if normal! Thanks.......

" I haven't touched the nuts and bolts etc where the A frame connects to the chassis...should these be looked at, even though I note there are no bushes at these points." 

I presume this means you have just renewed the bushes where the A frame connects to the axle.  There are bushes in the outer ends of the A frame.  Not sure that these give much trouble but if they are the original ones probably worth renewing,  The nuts should only be tightened with the car on its wheels.  If you tighten them with the car jacked up they will be under stress in normal driving

The "nuts & bolts you didn't touch" are supported in bushes that join the A frame to the chassis, yes they do wear but not anything like the bushes under the differential.

As SM25T mentioned check your radius arm bolts, but these tend to make a noise under acceleration rather than cornering.

The clunk you mention could be the half shaft walking out of its bearing, very common on an Ital live axle. Stand at the side of your car grab the roll bar & vigorously rock the car sideways a couple of times in quick succession, this will induce the clunk caused by a loose half shaft bearing if you have one. 

Olly 

Put  live axle clunk  into the Google site search in the red band at the top of the page