Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust removal

Paul Philpot

If you don't already use the centre mount for another bobbin, find the bush on the chassis and fit a bracket. Assuming it lines up with where you can get a corresponding bracket welded to the exhaust. I am guessing the welding you are having done is because the inlet pipe fractured at the front of the silencer ?

Rubber bobbins are not as robust as poly versions. I found that the stresses caused by the weight of the can extending out from the bracket leads to premature failure of the bobbin.

A double bobbin solution helps. Will post a photo when I can work out how.

Paul

If you want the stainless really clean then welders pickling paste is the stuff to shift all the heat discolouration but it is highly acidic and will take off paint and skin so needs handling carefully. It is at least twice as effective as harpic extra.

The discolouration sits in the uneven surface of the metal so unless it it polished to a much flatter finish the discolouration will return as soon as it gets hot again.

Hand polishing to that extent is a complete ball ache and you will need mechanical buffing which is still hard and laborious, but worth it, or pay a professional