Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Recommendations for replacement 6 point seat belts

russjones

My original caterham belts are put of date.

I need to replace the belts and looking for best options.

i dislike the current OE belts as the buckles catch in the tilletts  and appear to be badly designed?

Lota of options and whilst buy cheap buy twice is always a  concern  they must be FIA compliant and tillett compatible

Any views and experience?

I swapped mine for a set of 6 point Schroth. Not the cheapest but they seem to fit the Tillets better and have pull up rather than pull down strap adjusters so it is so easy and quick to get them on compared to the OE items.. Would highly recommend.

Andy

• 1 month later...

Sorry to enter the exchange "a bit late". But I recently changed the harnesses on my 1969 Seven, and would like to share my experience with all of the members.

My choice went to an FIA rated 6 points harness from "RRS Direct" (RRS-direct.com). I choose the model "FIA RRS R6".

The first thing you may notice will be the price. At 119 EUR for a 6 points FIA harness, it is an excellent quality for the price. But this is not the main advantage:

• - EACH of the straps have an additional loop (to easily tighten the belt),
  • - EACH adjuster has a little bit of strap to allow for an easy un-tightening.

From my experience, it is very seldom seen on harnesses, whatever the price. In a very tight car environment (the Seven, and... the results of the successive lock-downs on my waist size!). This is why I will use the same harness on my other cars when they will be overdue.

There is only one point which can be seen as a bad one:

The buckle is permanently linked to the lower straps, and not a waist one. This is not a problem in itself. But I have developed the habit on the Seven to sometime get rid of the lower straps when driving for a short hop on public roads*angel*.

But in the meantime, this is also a strong point. Because you can't use the harness without buckling the lower straps. That is a very bad habit, I confess. Do not forget this is an FIA harness and as such is designed to be used in a very demanding and dangerous environment. Therefore, this can be seen as a smart point to impose a proper use of the harness*teacher*.

Untill then, I bought mostly Schroth and Sparco harnesses for my race cars. But now that I've discovered this harness, I probably will stick to it.