Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Want to sprint next year...

pete_h

Hi Andy

Vision test not required for speed licence, only race, truck or long circuit kart.

It's just a case a filling the form in and making a medical self declaration.

Don't worry the regs can seem a bit confusing but once you have done a few events it will be a lot more straightforward.

Looking forward to seeing you compete this year.

Graham

• 2 weeks later...
  • Support Team

Apologies for the thread resurrection again.  Have finally navigated the UK Motorsport website to apply for a licence (ugh - I suspect it was designed by a fan of Kafka's work) I have a couple of small questions that I;ve nonetheless not been able to find answers to:

- Family life means I'll only make some of the rounds.  My aim is not to be in last place in at least one of the events so missing championship points is not going to be a problem - think of me as Williams in F1 this 2020, just trying not be last all the time!  Is it considered bad form to miss some of the rounds?

- Once I've signed up and paid my £30, how do I book on to an event and how much do they cost?  Via LoveAdmin in the same way as booking a track day? 

- Is there a British Standard for the helmet?  I have a helmet that adheres to BS6658-85 but I've had it a few years and I know these things move on.  Can't see anything in the regs that specify something

- I see the diagram for the timing strut on the website but it doesn't make any sense to me.  Have had a search through blatchat, but are there any pics of one attached to a car?  Does it just attach via bolts to the grill in the nosecone?  I assume a nice pre-made one can be bought here:  https://caterhamparts.co.uk/nose-cones/1936-timing-strut-fits-to-nosecone.html

Sorry if these have been answered elsewhere and I;ve not found them - have had a look through the articles in LowFlying (including the last two issues) so questions like car class (I'll be in Class 2) and what tyres (I've got a set from List 1a already) are sorted!

• Area Representative

Andy,

"how do I book on to an event and how much do they cost?" - other than our own L7C events at Curborough, entries will have to be placed with each events individual organisers. Individual "suplementary regulations" (SRs) will be published by the organising club, which often include an entry form (most of which can be completed online these days). Links to regulations for rounds of our championship can be found on our events calendar (once regulations are published). Event entry costs are normally somewhere between £100 to £150 per event.

The entries to some of the events that we are an invited championship to may fill up quickly, so its worth while entering as early as possible to ensure you get an entry. Some clubs (BARC Yorks for Harewood, and LDMC for Anglsey and three sisters) actually publish lists of who has entered online as entries are made so its possible gauge how entries are going so you know if you've got to rush or not. Sadly, some organizers don't confirm entries until a couple of weeks before the event :-(

"Is it considered bad form to miss some of the rounds?" - Not at all! - Not many folks compete on all of the rounds each year. Most folks pick and choose events. I guess I've done an average of around ten events a year for the last few years.

"Is there a British Standard for the helmet?" - BS standard helmets have not been allowed for a while now. The relevant section of the blue book states:-

10.3.1. Standards. Helmets bearing one of the under mentioned ‘standards’ may be approved by Motorsport UK subject to other criteria being met. See also drawing 10.3.1.

(a) ALL MOTORSPORT UK NATIONAL EVENTS

FIA 8860-2004 (Not valid after 31.12.20)

FIA 8860-2010

FIA 8859-2015

SNELL SA2010 (Not valid after 31.12.23)

SNELL SA2015 (Not valid after 31.12.26)

SNELL SAH2010 (Not valid after 31.12.23)

SNELL SA2020

Have you got overalls and gloves sorted out? The applicable standards are listed here:-

Overalls

9.1. Clean Flame-Resistant overalls, must be worn to cover from ankle to wrist to neck. Acceptable standards:

9.1.1. Racing:

FIA 8856-2000

9.1.2. Special Stage Rallies, Sprints and Hill Climbs:

FIA 8856-2000

FIA 1986 Standard

Gloves.

Materials tests to ISO 6940. Each glove to be labelled to that effect. Backs of gloves to be made from at least two layers of 180 gr/m2. Thread must be flame resistant and non-melting. Gloves must be fitted at the wearer’s wrist and cover the cuff of the wearer’s overalls. Manufacturers should register all glove models with Motorsport UK and FIA. 

Timing strut "Does it just attach via bolts to the grill in the nosecone? " - Yes

Hi Andy

.......and thanks to Richard for the very concise reply  *thumbs_up_thumb*

We all have other commitments and there are very few of us who do all the events, just do as many as you want to. Only the best 7 count, and for the novice cup it is only the best 5.

Timing strut can also be attached with cable ties. 

I will try to send out alerts by email and a posting on here when entry form come out. There will also be links in the calendar page of the competitors area of the website.

Also sounds like you may have not seen the championship regulations, worth a read here

Please keep the questions coming if there is anything else you are not sure of.

• Support Team

Thanks for the replies chaps.  All sorted on the overalls and gloves as I bought them last year with a view to doing some events this year but I bought my helment in 2008 and while it met the standard then, clearly safety moves on!

Have signed up via LoveAdmin to the championship and Curborough so far - just negotiating with my wife how many of the other events I can get to!

See you in the paddock!

• Support Team

"Welcome Andy

and when you arrive in the paddock there will be no shortage of advice!"

Thanks Graham.  I'll be in need of a lot of advice!  I'll be easy to spot - I'll be the one staring at the timesheets wondering if there is an issue with the timekeeping as there should be no way I could be that slow!

I checked my helmet and it is out of date. :-( Do we have any club discounts other than Demon Tweeks? And how would I try one on? I've always had Arai but was looking at the Bell ones too. Not sure whether anyone would accept a return (I had an issue with a Hans device that I bought that had the wrong angle and coudn't return it). 

• Support Team

I've also been looking at helmets and GPR Direct (the website for the company who have a shop just next to the main gate at Silverstone) say on their website that you can return:

"Not sure if you are purchasing the correct size helmet? GPR will collect, exchange and redeliver your helmet for FREE on all helmets over £200 ex! UK mainland only."

www.gprdirect.com

Pete. 

I have used a V2 helmet for a few years and can recommend those also as a quality budget helmet. ZAMP and Koden also off good value alternatives to the usual suspects. 

Personally I always preferred Simpson Helmets to the Bell and Arai which I felt didn't feel as comfortable in use. The budget alternatives have a very good quality shell, I'd say the main difference is the quality of padding in the helmet which isn't as plush. However the impact absorbing foam core is still there and of a similar thickness,