Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Master Cylinder-Help with Identification

A7 OOH

I have recently bought myself a 1994 Classic SE live axle and comparing the brake master cylinder with that on my K Series I notice there is a significant difference in the brake master cylinders, the classic has three fluid outlets on the main body and the size of the reservoir will not support a low fluid level cap. ( unlike the K Series which has two outlets and is fitted with a low fluid level cap)

The Classic has the wiring terminals to support the low fluid level cap.

Is this master cylinder specific to the Classic and does anyone know of its direct replacement, although a 94 car it was not built and registered until 2007 following SVA Test.

Did the Classic not require a low fluid level cap to be fitted at the time of test - could it be possible that the master cylinder  fluid reservoir has been replaced?

Also no Pedal Box has ever been fitted was this a standard fitting?

The car was supplied by Caterham as a KCD Kit.

I have no problems with the car I just like to know how the car should be.

20201025_112207.thumb.jpg.b698e9016b0b0abe8f713a0ae7cf9313.jpg

Thanks Andrew

I do have a level switch at the base of the M/C but it only has one spade connector, my exiting wiring which I assume was  meant to connect  to the switch (a light brown and a black and white cable) both go to earth so I don't understand how it would work anyway. The brake test switch works fine.

Out of interest I checked out the IVA requirements and a low brake fluid cap on the M/C is not necessary providing you can see the fluid level in the reservoir. 

I see you raised a similar concern in Sept this year and the solution if a new master cylinder is required is to replace with the current style and modify the pipework by the insertion of a 3 way union into front brake pipes.

On checking the dimensions of both master cylinder outlets to the flange mounting face (old and new M/C)) they are the same so no major pipework alterations would be required.

Is yours fitted with a pedal box?

A7 OOH,  It now looks to me as if you have got a later wiring loom together with an early master cylinder.

My car also does not have a covered pedal box and according to the Tony Weale book the covered box was introduced in 1986 so according to that yours should have one!  Are you sure the car was supplied as a CKD, i.e. all parts supplied new by Caterham (that can be checked from the chassis no.).  Mine wasn't, I sourced the drive train and some of the suspension myself.

You say the brake test switch works - all you are doing there is testing the bulb, that is what the switch is for.  Brake failure or low fluid level will light the bulb without operating the switch.

I can confirm it is a CKD kit a supplied by Caterham - I hold the original invoice. It is a Long Cockpit Chassis. So where does that leave things, maybe the pedal box cover was just never fitted as for the wiring well who knows.