Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Faulty speedo display

Julian H

Hi

The mileage display on my speedo is not working correctly, with incorrect / incomplete / missing numbers. Is it possible to have the unit repaired rather that replaced, assuming the correct milage is somewhere in the electronics inside and it is only the display requiring replacement?

Its this one.

IMG_1541.jpg.5d5b6d07b48d75dfad0fd8bfb924b3b4.jpg

Thx

Hi

Thanks K7, I now have a few recommendations to follow up. 

It has also have been suggested that I try running the speedo through the programming mode which I have done. All the numbers are displayed perfectly, then it reverts to the fractured mileage display :-(

Julian

Re #6:

That's truly bizarre!  All I can think of is that the rubber button is causing a poor contact when in the "mileage" position.  What happens if you press the button repeatedly, toggling between mileage and trip?

It would be interesting to see what Caerbont, Speedy Cables, or John Ostick have to say.

(ETA: JDO's website says he doesn't repair electronic units.)

Re a new speedo, this could be the one (71255SM).  What year/model is your car? 

JV

Hi

No matter what I do, it makes no difference, still faulty. BTW, the mileage is not 77,967 or 22,967, it’s probably around 35k

Bizzare!

I don’t think I feel inclined to buy another one of the speedos, my car has had 2 already. I think next time I’d like to buy something better quality?

8C9CE22D-8CC8-4CCB-BF13-959A29A4000B.jpeg.eebfbd3d08d80688930643e2185ba503.jpeg

24DAA2B8-FC85-4973-ADDF-B546505F30D7.jpeg.35f80990189d0c8c31dec073446629bf.jpeg

The first two "digits" in photo 1 look more like slash symbols.  Unless they have a special meaning, your display is truly misbehaving.

I understand your reluctance to replace like-for-like, but it would probably be worthwhile sending those photos to Caerbont for their comments.  Who knows, they may be so perplexed that they offer to examine and fix FOC as a goodwill gesture!

JV