Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rover K starter

Ted_7

Angus

Connect a temporary wire (thickish, say 25-30 Amp wire) to the solenoid where the brown/red wire is connected. Switch on the ignition and (being VERY careful) touch this new lead to the battery positive terminal. This will operate the starter solenoid. If the car starts with no problem every time by this method, then I would say for sure that the problem lies with the MFRU starter relay and you would be advised to add in the additional relay as discussed previously.

If this method still produces a graunching of the starter cog, then I'm afraid it's a problem with the teeth on the starter cog or on the flywheel.

rgds

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Ted

Just say the word and I'll bring a relay "kit" to Stoneleigh.

Chris W.

Excellent advice and excellent contributions to thread *thumbup*.

I'm sure there can't be a starter motor problem that can't be cured by the Blatchat archives 😬

Just brings to mind what a nice bunch of helpful people 7 owners are and what a useful forum Blatchat is 😬

Paul R.

C7PPR

K series that starts when hot!!

Paul, could I say "me too please" if you would be so kind?

More I read this thread, the happier will feel with this linked into the system. Sitting at a "T" junction going nowhere fast with a hot motor is a no no - been there, tee-shirt, etc, etc

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

Happy to supply a kit with easy instructions that should take 5 mins to fit.

I will obtain the bits (I can get at cost price) this weekend and anticipate charge for a complete kit with post and packing will be £15 and this will include a good donation to Nuke the Luke.

If anybody wants one, please e-mail me separately and l will let you have my address and telephone no. Please be sure to include your e-mail address within the body of your e-mail (my computer sometimes has problems with "replying" to e-mails).

Paul R.

C7PPR

K series that starts when hot!!

I did the mod tonite , yesterday the problem was that the solenoid had a "loose" post for the ignition feed wire , and the click nothing syndrom had reappeared , you know - the one where you have to get out and twiddle to post .

fitted the mod tonite in 20 mins , pressed the starter button and the engine turned over with real go , and started from stone cold in 3 seconds . *cool* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *smile*

Hopefully now I wont have to clench my buttocks every time I go to start it - will it wont it ?? *biggrin*

well done to whoever publicised this mod *thumbup*

Dave

• Leadership Team

The feed wire post on my solenoid is also loose, but oddly this doesn't seem to make any difference with the mod fitted.

Paul deserves alot of credit for this one - it's certainly not pleasant to drive month after month with no confidence in the starter. Previously never seemed to fail at non-embarassing moments though, only the mega embarssing situations.

Stu.