Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Corner Balancing

Brightonuk

Just got a deal on a set of Longcare SW500 scales as this is a totally new area for me to learn so I hope to get a bit of help here.

The Car is a 2001 Superlite and the only info I have on previous adjustments was from 2010.

alignment and Corner balancing .pdf  The car is a daily driver with monthly visits to the track

I just installed set of Nitron R1s all round so I need it aligned and balanced.

The attached pages are from a 2010 alignment/Corner Balance done by the previous owner,as I have no idea of what the optimal values should be can someone clue me in?

Alignment_0.jpg.70638b9cc125863b154bc2b55330645b.jpg

Are these #s what I should be aiming for?

CornerBalancing_0.jpg.55ffebdc64f2377f786a5e9744643696.jpg

The second sheet is the Corner Balancing should I aim for the same weight % (51.2)

Ride hight; Where do I measure this from from the front  and rear diffs? 

What is the standard hight and is it measured with a driver in or out of the car, full tank of gas?

I use around 18lbs (cold) tire pressure

Any guidance/questions would be greatly appreciated.  

You need to add ballast to match your weight, add fuel to match you normal blat level.

Try for minimum 75mm sump clearance and 15mm of rake . Rear higher than the front. Build guide gives measuring position

I have to say getting it right is a real science . I am lucky enough to have Dave Gemzoe round the corner to do mine and a good set up is the best upgrade you can do.

First make sure the tyre pressure is ok. I set the front dampers equal to the required ride height at the front then the rake at 1,0 cm for lineair springs and 1,5 cm for progressive springs, both rear damper platforms at equal height. then ad 2 turns up on the driver side only. Now you put the 7 on the scales and position your display close enough so you can read it while sitting in the seat and take note on a sheet. I have a Word doc where you can fill in all the weights if you send me a pm i forward it to you or if someone is able to insert a printable Word doc on this page that would be nice

Depends what you are using the car for surely?

For track work you'll need a toe out set up, aids turn in, but makes the car feel nervous on the road, for a road set up, a parallel or a little toe in.

Similarly, this dogged 15mm rake people bandy about, it also depends what sort of car do you like to drive, oversteery or neutral, or touch of understeer. Mine is a 2 litre VX, and at 15mm rake its more oversteery than I like, so I run 11 to 12mm, and thats with my shocker springs and arb set up.

If it were me, I'd take the car to a skilled setup guy, discuss how you want the car to work, establish a new set of set up details unique to you, then you can used the kit you have to always be able to replicate it.

Thanks Tazio 

I do not understand the print out from the alignment done in 2010, back then the car was a track car so I would think the numbers are based on the car being as track car it looks like he set the toe in slightly as you suggested @ -0.08 and -0.06  

Other than that is all looks like dark magic to me 

That said I will find a decent alignment place and talk to them.