Click here if you are having website access problems ×

First Modification for the 420R - Trimmed Steering Wheel

CtrMint

Afternoon All, 

Hope you're all well.  Thought I'd share my first modification for the 420R.  I've had the steering wheel retrimmed.  It's not my work.  I'm sure you'll agree it's a fantastic job.  I'll be doing a write up for my blog soon.

D11C9979-0C33-4F12-82F9-BCAFCD80203D.jpeg.1e02fece191244ed3475ecfcf50a88c7.jpeg

Very nice . Jo does a great job.

Mark , completely off topic but can you have a look at your cars and advise if your 420 and 620 both have the same dry sump pan and general plumbing arrangement please .

TIA

Just the sump castings will do .

if you can photograph any lettering on the underside that would be a great help , an iPhone on the floor will focus in the space available after you have run a finger to see if there is anything cast into the pan .

• Leadership Team

It's Joe Wilcox and, yes, he does have a very good reputation.

I think he strips the original top-layer of covering (leather or Alcantara, etc) and then smooths, repairs and modifies (as required) the high-density foam underlayer before recovering.

The recovering seems to be a magical process to me; just can't see how it all comes together (and so perfectly!).

James

Thanks for the videos Mark , you've cleared up my query .

You appear to have the same Caterham branded Raceline dry sump on both cars . 

The early 620r was fitted with the Cosworth own supply sump with 3 stage pump -extreme duty . This was fitted into  at least 2016 but sometime thereafter  production was changed to use the 420 type . The query arose after investigating sump clearance on another variant when it was discovered that early 620R appeared to have a more bespoke system . I don't know for sure but the change may have been linked to availability or cost of the Cosworth kit .

thanks for doing the videos 

The price varies depending on your spec, if you have the top band and embroidery, the cost was 180.00GBP.  I think it's 10GBP for the top band, and maybe 20GBP for the embroidery.  I suspect the price will vary based on wheel size too, but I guess we're all using the same wheel.

I have to say the chap doing the retriml has been incredibly friendly and amazingly engaging.  We chatted through options over instagram before finalizing a spec.  He sent through images of varies thread colours.  It's been a totally engaging experience.

Personally I think it's a bargain, and would happily have paid more.  I wouldn't be surprised if his prices creep up, supply vs demand etc.