Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Optimum wheel offset

ns1

Rebuilding a 1996 Live axle car. Currently upgrading the axle to an English with LSD. The next issue on the list is the wheels.

Plan to run 13" however 15" are an option . Whats the best combination of size / offset? 

Running a 1750cc supercharged Crossflow Approx 180bhp.  The tyres  would be Yokohamas A048.

The reason for the the question is from a performance handling perspective. The car will be used for trackday mainly.

Its  been a long road! Had it on the dyno at 180bhp and 160ft/lbs with more leaks than the Titanic. Suspect its good for 200bhp.   The engine is moved back approx 75mm to accommodate the drive belts etc. Its also running a drysump lots of pipe work.

Currently working on the rear axle and front uprights/ brakes 

The English axle as been re-worked at Arch. Interesting comment about widths  both are on the workshop floor Ital and English will do a few measurements.

The English axle has been converted to discs and has an alloy diff carrier and TranX LSD. The halfshafts are standard  undecided on converting to Quaife  Group A with a separate hub and bearing.

I would ask Arch to rework it to a 5 link with short radius arms, using the std chassis mounts the only thing to do is build a Panhard rod support on the chassis side witch can be done without drilling or welding on a 2000 spec live axle , works so much better than the A frame and even DD set up. An Englisch axle "can" take 250bhp with some strenghtening, you can get pretty big halfshafts into the tube ( 32 or 36mm from memory ) i have 3J big halfshafts in the 7 for circuit and GP4 halfshafts on the street 7 the 3J halfshafts where so big i had to open up the baffle slightly. And the big halfshafts also bring the wheel slightly more outwards.