Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carbon rear light blocks

rynicolson

I'm looking to add carbon rear light blocks to my LED's when I fit them (which have been sitting on the shelf for 2 years!)... aside Classic Carbon does anyone else make them? Looking for recommendations / thoughts. Or are Classic Carbon only option. Will probably do rear fog and reversing lights at the same time.... call it a Christmas present to myself! Thanks Richard

I have just bought a number of carbon items from David including carbon light blocks.  Delivery took a looooong time so if you order now don't expect delivery this side of Christmas.  He is very busy with other aspects of his business mainly relating to boats.

If anyone has already fitted them, I would be interested in whether you used any sort of sealant between the lens / led board and the light block?  In the standard set up they seal against the rubber block.  Looking at the photo on the website (shown below), it looks like the lens and led board just fit straight against the carbon light block with no rubber seal so there could be an ingress of rainwater?

I am not certain about how to proceed, just a butt joint, use some sort of rubber trim or maybe a flexible sealant ... comments on this most welcome

David

Lightsrearlenscarbon.thumb.jpg.dda96a1a24a67ebd3f0ace2750c18eaf.jpg

As a follow up to my above comments:

1. You will definitely need something to seal the lens against and along the perimeter of the carbon block because it doesn't fit flush surface to surface.  I suppose the easiest solution is to use a bead of black silicone but at present I am considering two other solutions. First, I have ordered some 2mm thick rubber sheet and I will use a lens as a template to trace around  and cut out a suitable gasket / seal.  Another solution might be to use 10 x 5mm Rubber U Channel to fit around the edge of the lens, Caterham have a similar rubber trim that they fit around the edges of the cycle wings but their website is down at the moment.  I may use all three solutions to be certain no rainwater gets into the lens.

2. You will need two 30mm rubber grommets one for each hole in each wing, which is presently sealed by the rubber blocks.  If you are buying new led lights from JAL, two grommets are supplied so you can re-use the grommets from your existing lights for either the hole in the wing or the hole through the body, they are both 30mm.

3. You will need to know how to remove the wires from the multi connector junction boxes so you can thread them through the rubber block, 30mm grommet and the carbon block.  The only alternative is to cut the old rubber block and also the grommet to slide the wires out and cut a larger 30mm hole in the carbon blocks, the existing hole is only 12mm and you can't pass the multi connector junction boxes through. 

David

Richard, re the sealing issue, I have this morning received an email from David Lale:

"Regarding the rubber, I forgot to include the neoprene rubber that can go on the face. This is a tad oversized to fit under the bulb holder and for the lens to screw down on to.  This fitting kit is going up to you too and will include a neoprene rubber to go between the fog light boxes and the wedges to save any vibration woes."

I haven't received the kit yet but when you order just be aware that you should also receive a fitting kit.  I am not sure what the kit contains but trying to fit the lights today I encountered a few problems:

1. Either the back plate or the lens requires some modification in order to get the back plate to sit flush with or just below the rim of the lens in order to allow the edge of the lens to seal against the rubber seal I have cut out.  I ended up cutting away sections of the back plate and filing down the backplate nuts.

2. The existing self tapping screws that attach the rubber block to the wing are not long enough to attach the carbon blocks.  With the existing screws, the two upper screws are longer than the lower ones so the upper (longer) ones can be used in the lower holes of the carbon blocks but you will need longer screws or bolts for the upper section.  I have ordered m5 x 50mm s/s bolts with washers and nylock nuts.  I am not sure of the size of the existing self tappers but I have ordered 5.5mm x 50mm / No.12 x 2" A2 Stainless Steel Pozi Pan Head Self Tappers.  When they arrive I will decide which to fit.

David

Hope you get your parts quicker than i did, took me nearly eight months to get the Bow Protectors i ordered and paid for, i actually changed my 7 in the mean time. 

Classic Carbon "Promised" they'd been posted on several occasions, and they never turned up.  The parts are ok quality when they actually turn up, but i wont be buying any more parts off them, its to much hastle and i got quite stressed about it.

Mark

Sadly, I have to echo Mark's comment, I ordered a full selection of parts in May and after many emails and phone calls I finally received everything in December apart from the fitting kits I mentioned and the bow protectors.  Quality is good, David Lale is a nice genuine guy but I have ended up on high blood pressure medication.  After the problems I encountered in trying to fit the rear lights, I switched attention to the fog / reverse lights and encountered more fitting issues.  The m3 lens bolts I ordered have arrived but are too long for the stand off posts so I will have to cut them down to size and in doing so it will be impossible to fit the JAL led cards.  The only solution seems to be to drill the led card fixing holes to a slightly wider diameter so that they slide over the stand off posts and fit some rubber tubing over the posts either side of the led card to secure them in place.  Then fit the lens.  I hope to accomplish that ... before Santa arrives!

David