Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Toyo TR1 195/45/15 pressures?

Ian28

Anyone have any specific pressure experience/advice for this tyre apart from the usual "about 18 psi"?

I change from CR500s which were old and wooden (5years) to the less expensive more touring-focussed Toyo. They came with 22psi in them which felt a little stiff but still seemed to drive nice enough. Interestingly they leave a slightly bigger gap between the cycle wing stays and the tyre sidewall, which I understand can be a problem on the CR500 Avon replacement the ZZR/ZZS at 195/50/15. The Toyos tramline a lot less than my old CR500s but that could down to the new verses old rubber. Since I don't intend to track the car I decided it wasn't worth the extra cost and potential hassle of fitting the taller profile ZZR 195/45/15. Any suggestions on air pressures ?

I have a set and they're awful.  On track I had armfuls of understeer which I couldn't dial out or drive around.  On the road they squealed embarrassingly at little more than walking pace.  I read a while ago about someone who used much higher pressures (as in 28 PSI as I recall) and reckoned that improved them no end so I was intending to try that if I ever put them back on the car again.

Anyone want to buy a set of 15" Anthracite wheels?  8" rears.

Surprised by that review! Mine is road only, 6" all round, so I can't comment on the track handling. But they are the best tyres I've ever had on it for the road, I love them. I don't get any tramlining and certainly no squealing. Is your geometry set up OK? They don't have enormous ultimate grip, but when they reach their limits they slide very progressively with no surprises. I enjoy the handling on these a lot more on the road than I ever did with "sticky" rubber, although it would undoubtedly corner a lot harder on the sticky tyres.

I agree Tony, never got on with them at all.  Hateful tyres.  Tried running them as low as 16psi but couldn't get them to work and in the damp I thought they were lethal, giving very little confidence when braking.  Switched to R1-R and confidence was restored ten-fold.

Sorry, appreciate this doen't help the OP, hope you get on well with them.

My car is fine on various 13" tyres, T1Rs are the only 15" I've tried.  I bought them on Arnie Webb's advice (with a tour of Scotland coming up) but now he also says they're awful.  I don't know whether it's the tyres or the 15" wheels but my car is transformed from sublime to unpleasant on the road and from one of the fastest on track to a joke.