Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Does the reversing light have to work to pass mot....

Peter G

....under the new rules that came in this May? Says it all really, MOT due on Friday, only back from a summer in Spain yesterday and I suspect the switch has failed.

Does anyone know where the switch actually is? 2000 K series S3, 5 speed type 9 box??

Thanks

Peter G

Hmm, seems they do on vehicles first used after 1 Sept 2009, my car is older, but I'd rather not be in an argument with the tester, any suggestions? Looks a bugger to change too, and I haven't got one and I've got precious little time to fit one either.

5 speed type nine box, the switch is on the right side of the box just below the gear lever.

I have this in my notes:

New Style double pin reversing light switch June 2000

Ford Part Nr 1652164 switch-rev. lamp £9.77 incl VAT

Capture_13.JPG.b6170662c955f5e758c97d1b0a8d1b16.JPG

Old style may be:

ORIGINAL FORD

FORD FIN..1488370

REVERSING LIGHT SWITCH

TO FIT

CAPRI MK1

1.3-1.6/GT OHV-2.0V4......1969-->5/1970

The difference between old and new is the terminals on the unit. The old unit has a flat plug on the loom but this will not fit the new style (which I think is the only one available now?). You need to be a bit inventive getting the wires to fit to the switch as the terminals are close to the tunnel sides

Connectors still attached and the fitting seems firm in place, but I don't have a nice hole and grommet in the side of the footwell, so looks like I'm going to have to make one! Mot may be delayed a few days.....

Thanks for the comments and the part no too, ECR

Wrightpayne, surely current runs through when the ignition is on and reverse selected, which is what I did but no power at the fitting?

Circuit is live feed to lamp unit, through bulb and onto reverse switch which goes to earth when reverse selected.

with ignition on and gearbox in neutral, take the bulb out and one of the lamp connectors should test 12v to earth. Then meter on resistance, ignition off, select reverse and put meter between the other connector and earth - this should check the wire to switch and the switch itself and should show zero ohms. Depending on what you find will determine where to look next.

The fitting was new about 4 or 5 years ago so is in good condition, but after jiggling and fiddling with wires, the light is now working just fine. Finger crossed for the MOT.

Thanks for the help, just got to put it all back together again now.

>>Circuit is live feed to lamp unit, through bulb and onto reverse switch which goes to earth when reverse selected.<<

Older cars yes, later cars no.  A 2004 car should switch the live with the bulb grounded.

I don't know when the changeover was, but judging by the guides I have, somewhere between 1996 and 1999

Cheers

If it is an MOT failure then I need to have a word with my test station.

MOT passed in July. Noticed a couple of weeks ago that I had no reversing light and found the econoplug disconnected up beside the fuel tank. I suspect I disconnected it when fixing the reversing light after it had got hit by something falling in the garage a couple of years ago and not reconnected it! It probably passed 3 MOTs in that state *whistle*

He’s gone quiet because he’s been for an MOT!

And it passed which is good.  Thanks for the tip Steven Long, very friendly little garage, apparently someone was there recently and ran out of fuel during the test, wonder who that was then Longy? Mind you mine did the K series click part way through and refused to start for 5 minutes.

The rev light is now working fine, but shall we say that it wasn’t paid a lot of attention during the test. *whistle*