Click here if you are having website access problems ×

310 clutch issues

Peter_Bullen

I am experiencing some odd behaviour with the clutch in my 310S. The clutch feels Ok and then suddenly the clutch pedal goes 'floppy' and sometimes there is no resistance at all. It comes back and you can drive it (so far) but its all rather disconcerting especially when the pedal goes right to the floor (with no resistance). I have bled the system, checked for leaks etc and all ok. This behaviour seems to start once its warmed up but varies from day-to day. Its OK when cold and sitting in the garage.The car has only done about 2800 miles and oddly enough I experienced something similar when i first built it (roughly 2 years ago). Brought it up with Caterham at the first check. They bled the system and declared it OK. Its been Ok ever since until Thursday when it started happening again, after about 60 miles! Same again on Sunday after about 12 miles. Anyone experienced this? I have a feeling it maybe to do with the slave cylinder sticking, once warmed up. Is this a possible reason?  

Thanks for the reply. Guess this confirms my thoughts. I assume your engine is the same as mine... a Ford Sigma 1600? Do you know what was wrong with the slave cylinder? Had you done many miles? This was meant as a reply to #2. 

Pedal stop is set correctly .. thanks.

It could be the slave, but I'd be surprised given such a low mileage.  I would be looking first at the master cylinder.  I suggest you get someone else to operate the clutch while you listen closely to the way it operates.  If you can hear odd squishing or sloshing noises, you likely have a failing m/c seal.   Refurb kits are available and are easy to fit.

JV

• 2 weeks later...