Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Drive shaft gaiters

Toby S

MOT passed, but a couple of advisories including a deteriorated NS driveshaft gaiter.

Took a quick look this afternoon, and one of them (hub end) does look a bit naff.

I assume its hub, brake calliper etc off and then pull the draft shaft through (wished I'd noticed them 12 months ago when I changed the rear wheel bearings), however, changing the gaiter itself - can't readily see how you would get the the old gaiter off and new one on  -  do you have to split the joint to change the gaiter ? Any special tools required ?

Secondly - should I have been greasing the drive shaft joints regularly ?

The joint is usually removed to replace the gaiter.

Kits do exist with a big cone that allows you to replace the gaiter without having to remove the joint. I have never used one, but others may have, and will be able to provide feedback.

Cheers CageyH

Any special tools needed or tips in splitting the joint, or is it all pretty obvious stuff - Are there any bearings or other stuff down there that I should look to replace whilst I've got the shafts off 

There is a tripode bearing on each end of the central shaft bit. It is simply held on the shaft by a circlip. Remove the circlip and slide the bearing off the splined shaft. Very easy. Photo follows in a moment. The black sticky grease is horrible !

My car is 2003. That 3 leg bearing runs in a metal can with 3 grooves in it. There is a spring and cup in the middle of the can that the end of the shaft sits against. The metal clamp band is all that holds the assembly together. Make sure the spring and cup is in contact with the bearing as you fit the shaft back on to the car.

On mine, someone had used a plastic cable tie instead of a metal locking ring around the gaiter and a lot of grease had escaped. All three roller bearings disintegrated very suddenly on a sharp turn at traffic lights.