Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing steering rack gaiter/boot on a S3 Xflow - how to do ?

I agree but when I started to look for it through search I found mutiple entries and some linked to other threads etc etc which took a while to go through and reassure myself that I had all the info I needed.

For a job that is probably done fairly regularly across the family of older 7s thought it could warrant e section in Tech Guides

Job done

I took a couple of pics

This is the starting point with old gaiter cut off

IMG_3624.thumb.JPG.f458ff7864986c4be7bcff4741b4203e.JPG  

Using a tippex pen put a white line across the Track Rod End, the lock nut and the track rod.  I then wrapped a bit of tank tape around the track rod up against the lock nut

IMG_3626.thumb.JPG.c243dcc58ecff63a7fffce17aa1d52b9.JPG

Put a spanner on the locknut and a spanner on the flat of the track rod. Rotating both of the spanners in the same direction crack of the locknut from Track Rod End.

IMG_3627.thumb.JPG.86b81aac5086b62d1f4526ef07073b34.JPG

You can then unwind the track rod from the Track Rod End and remove the lock nut.

Slide the new gaiter on to the Track Rod.  Now fit the locknut ensuring that it is the same way around as when you removed it.  Wind it on till against the tape marker.

Now fit the Track Rod into the Track Rod End and screw it up till the TRE comes up against the lock nut.  You can now use the two spanners to tighten the Track Rod and Locknut up against the TRE.

Grease the ball joint.

For me the next bit was the most difficult which is pushing the gaiter over the body of the rack.

Fit Tie Wraps and trim ends

Job done

• 11 months later...
  • Area Representative

Thanks Chris for that explation and photos. Should be a big help when I do mine.

One more question I don't see in any of the threads - what grease / lubricant should be used on the rack, when replacing the gaiter?

Thanks