Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma Engine Removal

ScottR400D

I can't remember if I needed to remove the alternator or not but I did as it was easy enough to do. I did remove the starter as I was only removing the engine not the box.

The only other thing that comes to mind is the v-belt tensioner needs removing but the steering column gets in the way so undid it and removed it when the engine was a couple of inches up and tensioner was between the column and chassis tubes.

Hope this helps

Ivan

I dropped mine in during build with gearbox connected.  In my case the tensioner, alternator and starter were in-situ.  However, the steering col, and coolant bottle were not fitted.  On the way out and also back in, watch the coil pack fouling the bulkhead and the U hose might need a tweak/removing.  Watch the dipstick tube, as you will have seen it is precariously close to the side wall.

Thanks Jim, very useful. Actually I’m not sure I’ve ever looked in a Sigma engine bay, I’m helping a friend and fellow club member to change the RMS this weekend. 

He didn’t build his car and my car is a Duratec SV. I did build that but there’s a lot more space in the SV!

Not too bad really, a bit of jiggling but no more. It's easy enough to keep an eye on the gap between the belhousing and block to make sure they are parallel with each other and with a trolley jack holding up the front of the gearbox you can adjust its angle to the engine easily.

Oh, another thing I did (probably obvious) was to just loosen the engine mount to vibration mount bolts, then remove the mounts from the engine and just swing them out of the way.

But it is great being able to just lift the engine straight out and up rather than engine and box at an angle and no gearbox oil to worry about!

Ivan