Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cycle wings and turning lights...something wrong

Hello, I realized in my 2003 Roadsport when I turned the steering wheel at maximum right or left side that the cycle wings are touching the side of the indicator cones. I moved the indicator cones till the point they are not touching when I turn the wheel at maximum but now...it seem like the turning lights are cross eyed when I look the car. The cycle wings are glued, not screwed. Is it possible they are glued in a wrong position and they must be more outside?, if I must change the position...how can I remove them without damaging them being glued?.

Thank you very much, David.

1_3.thumb.jpg.f1681eb23e11546615db96f2659315c8.jpg

the point where cycle wing touches

2_2.thumb.jpg.0fbff17e4381949a2d52ffdf2dcb7755.jpg

turning light in the position that cycle wing doesn't touch...but looks crossed eyes

3_2.thumb.jpg.57320cb2064ea5984fd5380958f5065c.jpg

crossed eyes turning lights

Thanks gents - you have solved a strange issue with my car - the headlights keep going cross eyed. After reading your post about narrow track cars touching the indicator molding on full lock, I realise my 6 point turn to back my Seven into my 'L' shaped garage is resetting the headlights every time!

Thanks!

Ian

Can you enlarge the large hole in the indicator shell that the headlamp fits through so that the indicators can sit a little nearer to the inside of the car? 

Also, some cars look like they have the wings glued direct onto the wingstays, but in fact they have tie wrap fasteners glued to the underside of the wing along with normal plastic cable ties holding the wing (and tie wrap) on to the wingstay.  If you have the tie wrap type fixing, the wings can be adjusted a little.

Thank you very much for your answers, I feel more calm now. The cycle wings I have are glued with a black adhesive. Will I destroy the cycle wings if I try to detach them?, maybe if I move them more backwards and outwards they won't touch the indicator cones...but if I'm going to damage them I prefer to leave them like they are. Do you know a secure process to detach them??.

Thank you again, David.

David, if you remove the cycle wings, as I guess you have worked out anyway it is important not to stress the fiberglass wing and cause it to crack.  I would try removing as much adhesive as you can with a sharp blade from the wingstay.  Then try to cut through the adhesive along the top of the wingstay using some small diameter nylon fishing line (a little bit like you would use dental floss).  You will need to remove all of the old adhesive and roughen the wing and wingstay surfaces before you stick them back on again.  To fix them back on it is best to clean the surfaces with alcohol and my favourite adhesive is Sikaflex 292i.

If you have indicators on your wing sides remember to check where the wiring runs.  Usually it is inside the wing stay with an earth wire on the outside and  screw fixed close to the indicator.  When you check the new position for your wings, before you glue them, test with the car on the ground to confirm clearances.

I have an S3, narrow track and a standard rack, but my cycle wings remain a good 10mm clear of the indicator pods.

Doesn't the clearance just depend on how far the headlamp bracket tubes are set into the clamps ?

Cheers

You're probably right, mine are from 1998 and appeared to be the same as those in the photos above as far as I could see, but looking at the Caterham parts site they added an extra brace in 1999 which I must assume means they could no longer be adjusted.

Shame they didn't check the clearance!

Cheers