Click here if you are having website access problems ×

change light ?

patibbitts

Installed on my K Series 1600, There's a single 'clear' coloured warning light inbetween the circular speedo and rev counter, above the ignition light and high beam warning light, I was wondering what it's function is?

It has a single black wire feeding it from the ECU box that seems like an 'aftermarket addition' - (I had to cut the wire when removing the engine recently - as there was no connectors installed!).

Maybe a change light?

I have to replace the bulb which may be an LED, so could do with finding out what sort / size of bulb to use??

Anybody have a similar installation and able to assist identifying it's use please?

Wright pain thanks for the reply.

I just checked it and I think you are correct!

It seems to originate from the centre ecconoseal plug on the ECU.

I've not run the engine yet since buying the car - hence all the tech questions. I was in quite a rush to remove the engine and had to take the snipers to this wire!

I tried to remove the warning light end but broke the bulb in the process.

Would a new light and holder /wire be obtainable?

Or is there a simple replacement?

Do you know the type and wattage of the bulb?

Many thanks for your help.

Pat.

Its an LED - I guess you just need to find one the same size on ebay - usually red but you could change the colour!

I took mine out as I have a DRE shift light so can have a good look for distinguishing marks (dont want to sell it!)  Also have the install instructions too (from the build manual). Let me know if you want me to copy it.

finally, I have econoseal connectors if you wanted a couple to make up a new lead without joins, which I’m happy to post. Plugs, seals and connectors available from Polevolt.

Ian

Wrightpain, thanks for sticking with me on this one, it's much appreciated.

I'll see if I can find one on ebay - unless you could suggest an item number??

Where did the supersport upgrade come from, who sold them?

My rocker box has the red aluminium 'Supersport' logo centre infill plate, but I was told lots of people just purchased that on its own, without actually doing the full upgrade?

The pictures you suggest would really help, if you get chance, thanks.

As I say, I haven't started or driven the car yet, so this is all new info. for me.

It looks like it has been tracked often by the looks of the overall spec.

You help is appreciated - any chance of a chat on the phone?

Hi all

I concur with Wrightpayne re all his comments

I've got a 1992 1400 Supersport -When my change up bulb blew I managed to source a complete unit plus wiring loom direct from Caterham parts for the princely sum of £3.91 plus VAT - that was a couple of years ago. Me thinks someone hadn't up dated the price list for a while (probably since 1992 !!)

I guess they were put on the early Supersports as my rev counter (which is original) only goes up to 7,000 (I guess that was enough for the crossflows and Vauxhall alternative engines at that time), yet the engine redlines at 7,400 and engine limiter is 7.600 so the light was put on to bridge the gap - gives you a 1-2 second gap to change up  - I must admit its very useful as at 75 mph in 2nd or 95mph in third, you tend to be rather focussed on the road ahead than the dials and a flash of a red light out of the  the corner of your eye reminds you to change up. Also if you have a Type 9 box, you really need to hit those sorts of revs to ensure you're back in the power band on change up, as with the smaller k series engines you get absolutely sod all performance without keeping the engine spinning at above 5,000 revs - you really DO need to rev the nuts off them, but that's the great Jeckyll and Hyde thing about them especially the 1400.

Get the light sorted and enjoy the roar

P.S not sure what the best current advice is with 1600 re rev limits. The 1400 has the same stroke as the 1600 but thicker walled liners and is pretty bullet proof re high revs abuse once thoroughly warmed up. 1600 has thinner walled liners and I've heard don't fare so well being caned - seen various contrary chats on here over the years re Trophy pistons and limiting the revs a bit