Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vauxhall C20XE timing

Kpcseven

I know the real answer is to put it on a dyno but I’d like to avoid the expense of that and even if I do the closer I start to correct the less time and money it will be. I have a Vauxhall with Swindon 218 hp option setup with  Webers and the ecu was replaced before I got it with an Electromotive XDi wasted spark system. Seems to run pretty well but I wondering about optimizing the advance curve as the curve now is just the suggested curve for a 4 cyl engine from Electromotive. . Does anyone happen to have an advance curve for this engine or some guide on how much advance to run?

Long shot question I know but I thought I would try. Thanks. 

I cannot provide a map or any advice on the correct advance to use but I went exactly the same route with a VX with the same Swindon set up a few years ago.

I purchased a second hand ECU that already had a map on it that was good enough to get me to Northampton Motorsport. The map felt good but after a couple of hours with Troy it was much better. All of this is a long winded way of saying I don’t think you can avoid a mapping session

If you do this be prepared the 218bhp claimed by CC was optimistic - mine does now achieve 218 but it is now on throttle bodies and the engine has been rebuilt with lighter flywheel, modified head and a few other improvements. 

I do not recall seeing anything about this and I have had  my VX for 10+ years

There were three different “Swindon” options and I think only about 50 sold in total so number of cars with same Cam as you have is very limited.

So it is a long shot to find what you want. Northampton Motorsport mapped mine at similar stage to you and again after rebuild so they do “know” the engine

Alan, 

Thanks for the information. I didn’t know that there were so few Swindon engines sold. I’m located in the US so your engine builder suggestion, while appreciated, would be a bit far!  The Vauxhall was engine wasn’t sold in anything in the US so it’s a fair bet to say that nobody near me is going to be familiar with the engine!

thanks,

Ken