Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Swop sigma engine to duratec

Derek Batty

When similar questions arise, the general opinion seems to be that, unless you have a particular attachment to your specific car and never intend to part with it, you're better off selling what you've got and buying what you want.  That way, the factory originality of the car is retained along with the associated value of that and you don't end up with a hybrid (though I very much doubt whether any Sevens are ever truly identical).

As for the practicalities, I'm sure it can be done (I know little about the Sigma engine or its installation in a Seven, but I have converted two K series cars to Duratecs (full description of the first one here: http://www.blandings.net/duratec.htm) (and an 8 valve VX to a Zetec)).  As for costs, a decent second-hand base engine can be had for a few hundred pounds and then it's a question of going to the Raceline website or wherever and fighting a losing battle with your self-control and the credit card ...  A standard engine with 210 cams, uprated valve springs, lighter flywheel, ARP rod bolts, and some Jenvey or other TBs would give a decent spec. without a monumental outlay, but you'd still need an ECU, exhaust system, bell-housing, clutch, sump, engine mounts and a host of other things, the cost of which soon mounts up.

Is upgrading the Sigma an option for you?  I know there are a variety of options there from a number of well-respected suppliers/engine builders.

I hope that might be of some small help ... Adam

For the Sigmas I reckon the main wiring loom is different and would need serious modification.

Not that it can't be done, anything can, but it has to be taken into account.

For Derek financially it may be different than it is to others as he's on the IOM

Derek, as I have gleaned from some of your postings, you’re from Yorkshire... *scratchchin*

Given the cliched characteristics of you lot, as above, replacing rather than adjusting would be much more acceptable to you! *yikes*

If you don’t fit it with the parsimonious nature of your fellow countymen, then have a chat with Stuart at Premier Power.  His options are v v expensive but I have yet to hear anything but praise for his work on Sigma engines. *thumb_up*

Why do you desire to change? More performance? More low speed grunt? More `get me there quicker` or just for a change?

There`s a lot that can be done to improve the Sigma for not a lot of cash My current set up is about 12 -15 bhp better than the 150 in low to mid range and gets to about 148 bhp at the top. Torque is 124 lb ft. Performance is much better overall than the 150 and cost about £250 plus a few days work.....well worth it... and it will do 45 mpg!.

I can point you in that direction if you want to get your hands dirty!

Hi tom just think I’m bored. But cannot justify  spending poss another £10.000 plus my car ,as I only do poss 2000 miles a year so will poss stick with what I have 

thanks for your comments love to no your ideas if you want to pm me  

thanks 

Derek