Click here if you are having website access problems ×

mini jump start power packs

David aka Blue7

Anyone bought one to recommend?  I started looking at Streetwize then did a bit more research which came up with Sealey, Draper and a few others but I am now inclined towards the Halfords own brand, which I could get the club 10% discount.  I am inclined to get one that could cope with starting my CSR as well as my 2 ltr diesel Evoque which often warns "low battery" on start up.

https://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/halfords-lithium-jump-starter-up-to-3l

Halfords seem to be honest about the capabilities of these jump starters in that they will not start a completely flat battery.

David

Lots of experiences in the archives, overwhelmingly positive.

Halfords seem to be honest about the capabilities of these jump starters in that they will not start a completely flat battery.

• "This unit is designed to jump start a vehicle with a healthy but partially depleted battery. For safety reasons it will not jump start a vehicle with a battery where the voltage has dropped below 3V"

I don't think that I've seen that described as a problem in practice. Even terminal car lead-acid batteries usually have unloaded voltages well above that.

Jonathan

I currently favour one of these:

Noco Genius Boost GB40

Indeed it does not replace a removed battery and shortly I am going to try it on a dead one (see edit below); I do know it starts a somewhat depleted one having had a few successes - and no failures.

my only comment about the genre is that the croc clamps are bigger and take more space than the battery itself, which also doubles up nicely as a USB power bank and can be charged on the fly from the car's 12v supply (i.e. fag lighter) via micro usb.

edit to add: so, tried jumping 7 with dead battery and to my surprise  it started. However, I then  realised I had left the big booster battery connected to the dud battery for several hours and it was depleted and the dud battery now up to 8.x volts - although that could barely run the fuel pump when trying to prime; so the 3 volts limit above matches my experiences to date as between 0 volts (no battery) and 8 volts (depleted battery). Maybe I'll flatten it some more..

anthony

I bought two from one of the local motor factors a couple of years ago.

One of those has mainly been used as a power bank and last week during re-charge this happened:

20190507_200032.thumb.jpg.1618568122f020eba9527725641d4d79.jpg 20190507_200121.thumb.jpg.31adf0225d26de973e691c78f22d64ce.jpg 20190507_200150.thumb.jpg.929be4185f57145b157a1c0d65c1c5e5.jpg 20190507_200114.thumb.jpg.4b4e42546f22a9b5b6636a6b7fae707f.jpg

It has clearly been very very hot, and it's own charger was used so it shouldn't really could have happened.

It had jumped down from the table where it was placed. Now that's a jump starter!

Nothing caught fire, but it makes me wonder if it's safe to use them.

Wow ... I have seen something similar with a golf caddy battery but it was after using the quick charge setting on a battery charger.

The Noco Genius Boost has a full page ad in every issue of What Car but a lot of reviews criticise it for weight and cost but praise it for power and reliability.

Thanks for the links Jonathan

Store Lipos half charged, they are dangerous empty and charging, but I bet you didn’t know it had a Lipo in there in the first place.  

Have a quick look at the YouTube vids on Lipo fires, and your see why people charge them in amo boxes or special fire proof bags.  

It had jumped down from the table where it was placed. Now that's a jump starter!

;-)

... finding its own path to earth?

I don't know how to find well-made packs beyond personal recommendation and brand reputation. There are lots of scathing comments about low quality from the Far East, but the good ones are probably made there as well.

Dave's recommended DBPOWER 500A 12000mAh also says:

• "Your jump starter will perform best when its battery is fully charged. If less than 25% charged, it may not be able to start your engine."

Jonathan