Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyred of asking but.....

CageyH

My current “E” marked A048s have a couple of my left before they need to be changed. My other set of wheels has CR500 fitted. These are getting old now, but are still in good condition with no cracks etc. as they are stored in a cool and dark area when not on the car.

The CR500 are my spring/autumn tyre. The A048 are the summer tyre. If I am going on a bit of a journey then I usually fit the CR500. Soon I am likely to have to fit new tyres to my wheels. Both sets are 13” diameter, running 6” wide fronts, with one set having 7” rears and the other 8” rears.

Since moving to France, I don’t really do track days, but do love a bit of spirited driving from time to time. As such, I am wondering if I really need sticky rubber?

The car is a VHPD powered S3, and the use is primarily fast road/touring. Ideally I want to have tyres that will cope with really wet conditions, but still be safe in the dry as far as braking a lightweight car goes. Obviously grip in corners will be useful as well.

So, what recommendations are there for 175 or 185 fronts with matching 205 or 215 rears with about 200BHP on tap? A compromise tyre for touring is perfectly acceptable, as I find I drive less quickly when on holiday, however, I don’t want to end up backwards in a ditch, or having really poor braking performance.

Choices for sticky rubber are probably the ZZS or R888R, but Nankang A1-R(?) look like they could be a good cheap alternative for road use. I do have a spare pair of front CR500s stashed away though, so I am tempted by the ZZS.

Where I get stuck though, is the “normal” touring rubber. There does not seem to be much choice at the size I want in 13” tyres. Do I need to look at going to 14” or 15” wheels?

How much rubber do you need to get 200BHP down effectively on the road? I ask as I have always had 205 tyres on the back since fitting the VHPD.

I asked the question about power and width of rears a few years ago. The response from the learned members at the time was up to 200bhp, 185 on 6” rims are fine.

The other thing I’ve read is CR500s are the best tyre for general all weather road driving and a bit of track work / spirited driving.

I’ve just changed my aged R888s to R888Rs  and the initial signs are good (v cold run out to Silverstone last weekend). I would want to drive fast in very wet conditions on them - I’d be tip-toeing!

Before changing I nearly went for Uniroyals or yokohama A539s as I’m 99% road driving these days.

Regards

Ian

An ex member who toured France recommended using Toyo R1R's - which I think would mean running 15" though - he really rated them in the torrential rain they got caught in during the summer.

https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/car-tyres/toyo/proxes-r1r-semi-slick/195-50-r15-82-v-fsl.html?partnerDomain=adwords.google.uk_gps_en_gb_66164_proxes-r1r-semi-slick&xtor=AD-47&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu5iwnfPD4QIVpLXtCh2ZKAxCEAYYASABEgKGOvD_BwE

I've been using Nankang AR1s (185 and 205) for about a year or so and I really like them.  I prefer them to the R888s (not R888Rs) that I was on previously.  The preference is only mild, and I'm afraid I couldn't say why, but I do definitely prefer them.  I'm almost exclusively road use and use the car all year round.  I got the AR1s from Tegiwa Imports who seem to have good deals from time to time.

FWIW ...  Adam

In my opinion (and I tend to drive very gingerly in damp/wet conditions), they're similar to - and probably slightly better than - AO48s (which I was on before R888s).  I've encountered standing water and shady damp patches and what have you and haven't had any nasty surprises.

In cold but dry conditions, I'd say they were definitely a notch above AO48s and to me (all highly subjective) they simply feel slightly better all round than the R888s.  I drive enthusiastically, but rarely if ever get anywhere near the limit on the roads (if I do, it's accidental).

I don't know where you are in the world, but I'm near Sevenoaks in Kent and if you wanted to pop over and stick my wheels and tyres on your car for a trial run (or take my car out), you'd be extremely welcome ...

Adam