Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can this cambelt be re-used?

rj

It's just been in service for three months - which equals to four trackdays.

It seem to be a pity to ditch something that youngIMG_20190406_162516(Large).thumb.jpg.5643cc05ae3aeb966690eaef0d14eae2.jpg

The result is 10 valves with piston contact. Two inlets are seriously bent. There's some damage to the crown of the piston.

Never mind; the engine had done a lot of track work and a new, based on a MG Motorsport block is in the pipeline - first trackday the 26th May. Brand new VVC head will arrive Monday - engine built with steel rods, Omega pistons and a brand new crank from Brown and Gammons - in other  words more or less a new engine which is not too bad for something that went out of production some 15 years ago.

Yes, have just replaced a friends chain on her Fabia 2007. Clearly not built to be replaced. It had jumped; in that case I suspect the tensioner to be guilty as the chain and the wheels were like new.

Just fitted Dayco to my Sigma, I'm glad I didn't go for the Continental now. I was looking for Gates but couldn't find them anywhere other than Ebay, and I always worry about fakes on  there *frown*

And the interesting bit is that I've seen another Conti that has lost teeth but without the same outcome.

I recently removed a Dayco from my Passat TDI - it was like new after 90k Miles but it's a completely different design so they can't be compared.

My local motorfactors had, when I purchased the belt, only the Conti within a range of 100miles, which was why I chose it.

If I was somewhere with one from each manufacturer on the shelf I wouldn't pick a Continental belt, probably because I don't think of them as a manufacturer of car parts (other than tyres).  If they were the only option available however I would have felt perfectly safe fitting it.  I wouldn't expect a big name like Continental to release a product that wasn't up to the job.

The rev limit's a bit higher than standard of course but nothing silly.  

I presume you've checked the bearings on the cams, tensioner and water pump and there's nothing funny going on there?

Both water pump and tensioner were new and have no signs of problems. Nor have the cams although I haven't lifted them out yet. This will probably happen tomorrow.

I wouldn't pick the Continental either if I had a choice, but at the time I didn't. Like you would, I felt safe. I could be inclined to purchase another and make a test bench.

A bench test for that failure would be a little tricky as it hasn't actually snapped.  I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to knock something up using an old cam pulley and see at what torque the teeth stripped off the belt.  

Edit: Any signs of overheating on the plastics on the front of the engine?  I'm sure you've already thought of all this of course but had to ask.

No, absolutely nothing obvious at all.

I'll ask the company I got it from to look into what they think could be the reason. And if they feel like to "participate" with a donation to my new engine :-p

Even if it was soaked in oil it should not fall apart like it has.