Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series wasted spark setup

Chris Norman

After listening to all the advice, thanks to all who contributed, I obtained an EU3 cam cover, rover coil packs and HT leads from a fellow caterham owner and converted from EU2 to wasted spark with the EU3 cover and twin coil packs.

Distributor, single coil and HT leads removed. EU3 cam cover fitted along with the rover coil packs. An additional coil driver was pinned from the (early) Emerald ECU. The coil packs share a power feed. The Emerald ECU config was changed as per Oily's instructions.

Spark plugs where BCPR7ES so haven't been changed.

The engine runs well once it has been started, but, it's the starting which is now an issue. Engine turns over and does not fire until the third or fourth attempt, often there is a loud backfire as (I'm guessing) unburnt fuel catches in the exhaust! 

So what have I done wrong, something to do with with the setup whilst the engine is cranking? As I say the engine runs well once it catches.

K series 1.8k. Supersport cams. QED throttle bodies. Emerald ECU (early version).

Any/all advice welcomed

Thank you

Chris

Worth checking the supply and earth voltages at the ECU during cranking. There was a case a little while back of a car that was really hard to start but ran fine once started and it turned out the be the ECU earth. In that case the injectors weren't operating when the reduced voltage during cranking and the voltage drop through the ECU earth stacked up; just wondering if in your case a similar problem could be causing the coils not be fully "charging" (for want of a better word) to saturation current and giving a weak spark during cranking? On the Emerald do you have any control over the coil "on time" or "pulse width" or anything similar? And if so, would it need to be set differently for the EU2 and EU3 coils? Not experienced with the Emerald so could be barking up the wrong tree.

Hi Revilla, RJ

Thanks I will double check the ECU supply and earth. I cannot see anything obvious in the Emerald software that I should have altered.

No cam sensor but not configured for sequential. I will have a look around to see if there is any adjustment for the coils.

Thank you *thumbup*