Click here if you are having website access problems ×

High Speed Vibration

DonDP

Thanks @Jim123,  will only use the lathe to see if the disc has run out and just replace it if it does.

@Tom_Arundel that is certainly a possibility, will see if I can get a measurement with the dial gauge there before stripping it down.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

A quick update... 

New discs and pads are on, although the runout still exists which is good and bad.

Good, that this is likely the source of the problem, and bad that I can now only see this being the wheel bearing, the stub axle of the drive shaft or the hub flange itself.

Popping a new wheel bearing in this weekend as its the cheapest option, but I do not have high hopes that it will resolve it. More likely to be one of the other two, or both of them!

Has anyone every warped a hub flange or bent the stub axle on the drive shaft!? I guess anything is possible....

Update and GOOD news !!!!

It would seem (from the limited testing I have done) that the issue is resolved! So it was either the rear brake discs or the rear wheel bearing on the offside. I am going to change the nearside rear wheel bearing as a precaution and book another track day to fully test.

Thanks everyone for all the support and suggestions. Weather permitting my next track outing will be the 13th May at Bedford. Will keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Most likely the last update to this thread...

Had a great day at Bedford with no vibrations!!! 

I cannot say what resolved it for sure but after replacing the prop shaft, both rear wheel bearings, discs and pads I am a happy 7 owner.

Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

Now I can get on with the wide track converson :-)