Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Difficulty getting in to gear from start up.

Terry M

Hi, would be grateful for any offerings. I have owned my first 7 (Classic Super Seven 1998, 1.6 VX engine and Sierra 5 speed box), only since Dec 18. I absolutely love it except that it is very difficult to select 1st gear from cold start up, when you get underway it is fine. The only other issue that getting in to reverse is very 'clunky'. Sorry not overly technical I'm afraid, but any advice would be welcomed. Terry

1/ When the car is up to temperature, what happens if you park stationary at idle with the car in neutral and try to engage 1st?  2/ Also from a cold start up, is it any easier to drop the clutch and keep it down, then go into 2nd followed by a move to select 1st before you begin to release the clutch? 3/ How much pedal travel from the floor is needed before the clutch just starts to engage when cold, and is this constant after the car warms up?

Thanks Jim, as far as I can tell everything seems to function properly (see reverse bit later), after getting underway, even before it really gets warmed up. It feels easy to shift into gear after idling in neutral, and clutch pedal travel feels 'normal'. The last part of any journey i make involves me reversing in to my garage, and then, even after being warmed up, it clunks into reverse with the pedal right to the floor.  Apologies if I've not explained this well enough.

• Leadership Team

From your last post I also concur that the clutch may we'll need adjustment. If you'd said it was okay when warm then the suggestion would be that it might need a different gearbox oil, but because the issue is evident when the engine and gearbox are warm, it's more likely to be clutch adjustment.

I experienced the same when my dry sump clutch arm was failing, but that won't be the case with yours assuming it's a normal wet sump engine.

Stu.

Thanks to all for your input. As a newbie to Caterham and the L7 club, I must say how impressed I am with people's willingness to help. Fortunately I bought the car from an authorised dealer, so I think I'll take advantage of the warranty offered and get it back to them to check out. To answer one of the questions asked, I am based in the Chew Valley area just South of Bristol.  Thanks again.

Yup, I have had this problem

Firstly make sure you have Redline MTL oil in your box, you can tell cos its red

Secondly renew the saddle, which the gear stick fork sits on

Lastly and the thing that sorted my box out was a new short shift stick which i bought from :

https://www.tigerracing.com/shop/gearbox-parts/126-gear-stick-quick-shift-modified-to-length.html

They will cut it to length for you