Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Couple of minor build queries, handbrake and front wings

CtrMint

I suspect the hub nut has been slackened slightly too, there was a lot of resistance present before pulling it apart.  It now runs much better, watching the owner  work I don't think he put as much torque into the nut before adding the split pin back.   As a number of other members will attests Paul at SPC knows his stuff when it comes to Caterhams so I'm confident it's correct, probably better than when Caterham sent the part.

I've been back today and we finished the build off, and it's now officially finished!

The car has been flat-floored for my weight along with a geo setup which took a couple of hours.  The car with fuel weighed 561kg. We found the front camber different even though the assembly says the wishbones should be set at the factory, so we had to remove top ball joint and correct.  

Only other change was the increasing the angle on the steering column to increase clearance from the exhaust, that's it.  The owner also helped me add heat shrink to the steering rack for protection which now looks great.

IMG_0348.thumb.jpg.e908938d442b9b185423236313e7f817.jpg

Above picture was taken before we realized we'd forgotten to put the rubber boots back on 

Weight before setup

scale.jpg.4b0f5af190654c49f375844ac2bd5b49.jpg

Everyone has been utterly amazing,  the 7 simply wouldn't have been completed without your continued support, patience, knowledge and care.

I mentioned in a previous post, Lotus7.club and BlatChat is by far the best online community I've ever come across and I owe so many of you a beer or two!  

I just wish I could easily get involved in some of the trips, the Tafia Fish and Chip run etc, maybe one day........

• Area Representative

As per JVs ref in #24 about the lack of bearing lubrication for the front hubs. This problem still exists.

Recently I assisted one of my local members to carry out a service on his five year old Sigma 140. The front hubs were dismantled suspecting poor lubrication on this factory build. The bearings were dry with just remnants of black hard grease rind!

So CC are still merrily going their way & fitting or supplying the made up front upright assembly with little or no lubrication. One could discuss this issue with them but will it make any difference?

To all out there if you have a factory car that is at least four years old or are building at home dismantle the front hubs. You will be shocked as to what you find. Then re lubricate every four years.

She's just been dropped off.  I truly am finished and ready for the test, well apart from sourcing dashboard instrumentation stickers though I'm not even sure I need them here,  I don't need the IVA plastic bonnet hinge covers for the test etc, so not sure they'll be fussed over stickers.

I'm going to fix the rear reg plate on this week and then put some tape over it.  I'll do the front plate in the test center car park.

Oh one last thing, I need to sort a tax disc holder, yes sadly we still use them.

The Exige is back in use too, and they look stunning together.

IMG_0359.thumb.jpg.b2853b25b295000623c5c5f4350c0c21.jpg

Great to see the project completed Mark. Truly your car, well done.

I completely agree with your comments on the 7 Club. The most helpful and supportive I have ever experienced, with an exceptional range of events.

Enjoy the ride.

Pete