Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Speed Championship Virgin

Balveniefan

Hi All,

I am hoping to enter some rounds of the Speed Championship this year.  As I am a complete novice I would ideally wait for the 'Introduction to Sprinting' event but as this is September it would mean missing most of this years events and I am too impatient to wait!

I therefore have loads of newbie questions.  I have obviously read the the online guide which has lots of info and so understand what I need to obtain in terms of licence, racewear etc.  It was more about getting my car prep'd and ready to pass scrutineeriing.  I should point out that my ambition is to turn up and have some fun and I am not hoping or expecting to challenge the leaders, just enjoy some motorsport.  I have a 1997 1.6 k series with a 6 speed box so it appears I will be in class 2. I already have a FIA roll bar fitted 

I would really appreciate any advice members could give me as a first timer and in particular on the following topics;

- fitting a petty strut., how easy is it? Keeping windscreen on or do I need aero screen?/Tyre choice and how many needed? Recommended spares to carry? Any mods that are recommended?

Thanks in advance for any help or input,

Alex

• Support Team

Hi Alex - I'm sure you'll get plenty more advice but here's some pointers to get you started.

Fitting the petty strut is quite straightforward. Enter "petty strut" (including the quotation marks) in the search box and you'll find lots of threads but here's a couple:

https://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/advice-fitting-petty-strut
https://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/petty-strut-5

You can compete with the windscreen - plenty do - but the car will be quicker on the faster straights with an aero. For the twistier venues you probably won't notice much difference.

Tyres - this will determine whether you are class 2 or 3. Check here for List 1A and List 1B
Class 2 use List 1A tyres - the commonly used one is the Yokohama A539 although there may be other choices.
Class 3 use List 1B tyres - most are using Avon ZZS but there are other choices a well such as Toyo R888R.

No mods required apart from the mandatory Motorsport UK safety ones which amount to putting yellow tape around the battery earth lead!

Spares - zip ties and gaffer tape. Maybe a throttle and clutch cable. Oil and coolant for topping up. You'll work the rest out but guaranteed someone in the paddock will have what you need and happy to lend it to you.

Shaun