Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Seat Adjustment - can you increase the travel?

Bomba

Hi

Built my S3 360R with my teenage son in 2017, now he’s past his test he is keen to have a go himself but he’s shorter than me and as I need the peddles all the way back he struggles to reach.

I have standard leather adjustable seats but they don’t travel much/enough.

Does anyone know if there’s a way to increase the travel with new runners etc?

There are not any longer runners ... the runners allow quite a bit of travel. If yours don't move very far ... maybe there is some gravel jamming them ... preventing full movement ? ... this is very common. If they are moving through the full range ... you could unbolt them and redrill the floor closer towards the pedals. Do you mean the pedals are in the position closest to the driver or towards the front of the car ? If they are towards the front of the car .... maybe you could try moving them to a pivot nearer the driver and see if you can find a position where it suits you both. If he has just passed his test ... is he still growing .... maybe wait a year or two until he grows to fit the Caterham ?

I have an S3 with leather seats.  The problem appears to be that the front LH edge of the seat cushion fouls the trans tunnel as you move it forward.  A couple of years back I was in CC in Crawley trying 7's for size.  The sales guy produced a quick fit overcushion trimmed to match the leather seats.  This got me into a more comfortable position as I then sat closer to the pedals.  You could give them a call and find out where they sourced it from.  At the time the guy did say to me it was a Softbits item.

What I have resorted to, is using a firm dense foam cushion placed behind the lower face of the seat back.  For me it places my rear end about 50mm further forward, and I find it just a little more comfortable than when seated without as it gives a bit more lateral support for the lower back.

• Area Representative

As Ian says above, but I would take the seat out and check it moves freely for the full length. Then reinstall carefully making sure it still moves fully. You may need a few plastic washers on the front to raise it a small amount. Taking the seat out is best done with two people, so get you son to help out.

Thanks for all the feedback and ideas everyone, I think we will start with one of the seat options and see if that works, if not then maybe get on to adjusting pedals.

Great support from the club members so thanks again.