Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre Advice Required

barry watts

Currently have yokohama AO21 tyres that are eleven years old. These look really good as the car has had little use and lives in a garage, loads of tread depth.  They are 185 70 13 . Looking for replacements it seems that this size is not very common,  so what are all you classic super sprint people fitting? 

Thanks baz.

Hi Barry, I know I have 14 inch wheels but I have been happy with my Rain Expert 3 tyres in all conditions, they've even survived a couple of dry track days unscathed and they are available in 185x70x13 at less than £50 each.

They aren't as grippy as 21s, but they are safe and fun at slightly lower speeds.

Duncan

• Area Representative
Hi Barry

I would drive very carefully with 11 year old rubber (it will be like PVC now!).

I replaced AO21Rs with Uniroyal Rainmaster or Rainsport tyres. When I was at Autosport, I asked about road tyres on the Yokohama stand; if the 21s would be reworked as E marked for example. They were recommending the Advan52, available in 13" sometime soon. It is noticeably more expensive however.

I am just going down this road seeing as the Yoko AO48's I have always used are not now sold for the road.

I am also going the Uniroyal Rainexpert 3 route. My local tyre supplier has advised Black Circle on line, who can supply them cheaper than they can buy them, with fitting included in the price of just over £50.00. (185 / 60 / 14)

Col

• Area Representative
Great memory Barry!

I did, an AO21R split at the angle of the tread and the sidewall. Whatever the initial issue, they separated completely and rapidly.

I would have to see if I can find the photos to find out the age of the tyre but I used to wear out a set of 21s within two years, the odd set might have lasted into a third year. They would not have been older.