Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Build Manual

Paul Mason

Does anyone have a build manual PDF they would be kind enough to send me for a 2001 K series car. Have removed the radius arms and A frame, powder coated and got new bushes and nuts & bolts etc (great service from Redline BTW). Am going to re-attach and want to make sure I've got all the right torque settings and got the nuts, bolts, washers etc. just so (yes, I know, I should have taken some photos). Also need the correct plug gap (though not sure if this is the same for all k series engines, 1.8k VHPD head, Piper 1144's). I've tried a couple of searches but I must be being thick (I know I've seen one last year for plug gaps but can't as eckers find it)

Can I just get a view that I am interpreting the build manual accurately re: A frame attachment. At the front, the bolt passes through the chassis, out to in, then a washer, then the a frame and bush, then a washer, then the nyloc. There is no washer between the bolthead and the chassis? Where the A frame attaches to the De Dion, bolt into the a frame "socket" with no washer, then a washer against the bush, another washer against the other side of the bush, then socket and a nyloc to secure. Again, do the bolt head and nut not need a washer within the socket? Hope that all makes sense.

At the front, the bolt passes through the chassis, out to in, then a washer, then the a frame and bush, then a washer, then the nyloc.

Correct, although you'll very likely need extra washers at "2" below (N/S and O/S) to centralise the A-frame in the chassis:

ForwardA-framemounting.jpg.190f70865b91c27300b031ddde777cf9.jpg

There is no washer between the bolthead and the chassis?

Correct.

Where the A frame attaches to the De Dion, bolt into the a frame "socket" with no washer, then a washer against the bush, another washer against the other side of the bush, then socket and a nyloc to secure.

Correct.  The washers each side of the bush are what CC call nylon "race" washers (item 4 below).  IME, they get mangled fairly easily over time:

A-framemountingtodeDion.jpg.02de33b2106c1cb0d80d0e1b43c3b457.jpg

Again, do the bolt head and nut not need a washer within the socket?

No washers here.  And remember not to tighten unless the dampers have been attached.

JV

Possibly helpful comments... I wasn't keen to not have a washer between bolt 4 and the chassis, and I  fitted one on each side to protect the powder coat.  Whether this has done any good I have no idea but it hasn't done any harm. The other thing I have noticed on a few Caterhams is that the A Frame can be inadvertently fitted upside down.

Thank you all, to be fair RJ though, the washers aren't the wieght issue I have...... But know I know exactly what's what. Jim, now I'm worried, how would I know if the a frame is the right or wrong way up? Is it a case of the fit achieved to the car as I can't see any marking?

JV, just to be double sure, is the last comment "no washers here" or "no, washers here" as in they are needed. I read a couple of times and originally read it as no, washers needed. Sorry to be a pain, but I just want to be double sure I get it right. I know they are not shown in the build manual, but am just surprised as would have always put a washer on

Sorry for the ambiguity!  I should have written: "No, you don't need washers here".   And like you, my inclination was to fit washers but I deferred to the AG.

Re the A-frame, the AG states (Section 6, Page 5, Para 25): "Place the 'A' frame under the car with the forward mountings [the bits with the bushes] offset upwards."

JV

Paul,

How many bolts on your car?

How much does an extra washer weigh?

If you add an un-needed washer to every single bolt it will be kgs. Bearing in mind how light the car is it would be a shame to add tree kgs (more than 0.5%) of no use. Mind you that I've cut down every wire I could to save a couple of kgs and I have replaced with lighter bolts or if not possible shortened them. It is /so/ easy to add 20kgs of waste weight.

I understand why people replace the standard rollbar with an FIA bar or a cage, but adding weight that adds nothing to the car but weight?

Rember that subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere (said the wise man ACBC).

https://www.azquotes.com/author/27371-Colin_Chapman

At the Autosport show I saw a carbon fibre rod that made me think of replacing the lower steering column...

The easiest way for me to make my car lighter and go faster Regin is for me to be less fat ha ha! Once I've done that (10kgs would be achievable for me) then I'll strip the uneccessary washers. Though, what's going on will already be less than what came off (and in different places too as the a frame did have washers in the sockets when I removed them). Plus, I've cleaned off about 4 kg of mud, crud and alike from underneath and also from under the seats (no idea how they ended up so filthy) so there's more wieght saving there too.

And the washers you've removed are at least partly unsprung weight. Well done that.

I must admit that I could loose a few kgs myself, but once everything that can fairly easily be done with the car, you have to look at yourself as there's no excuse not to.