Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LED Rear Lights

shn7

I read it as though a red LED under a red lens was best as a white LED through a red lens may appear to be brighter but can give a washed out look.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/blogs/news/why-you-should-not-use-white-leds-behind-coloured-lenses

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/brake-tail-light-bulbs/products/2x-bay15d-red-stop-tail-led-4014-30-smd-brake-rear-light-glb380-p21-5w-canbus

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/brake-tail-light-bulbs/products/2-x-bay15d-white-stop-tail-led-4014-30-smd-brake-rear-light-glb380-p21-5w

"If you are putting these behind a red lens, we highly recommend a red LED for a better and brighter output.  Please refer to our technical article."

This was my shopping list from Classic Car LEDs (already had LED headlights and sidelights and didn’t see the benefit of a brighter number plate light)

P&P included in these prices, so circa £80 all in.  Direct swap for the standard bulbs, so dead easy to swap.

1ADB967B-706C-4067-9139-C3C47E72D6C2.thumb.jpeg.efc400a3f5fbe82e877408cb651a3825.jpeg

Great thread.

I'd love to upgrade to full LED rear lights and indicators, but not high on the agenda at the moment (new wheels, tyres and aeroscreen first). Therefore I bought the Classic Car LED rear/brake lights as a compromise.

I've uploaded a short video to demonstrate the difference in performance.  For £16 and 3 min fitting, it's a no-brainer!

Planning to upgrade the indicators, reverse and fog too, as well as a third brake light. Will upload more videos when available.

... as you can see the activation/deactivation time is reduced and brighter.

That's usually thought to be around 200 ms quicker... but TTBOMK no-one's ever posted anything similar. Thanks.

Of course until we have car to car communication it's the reaction time that matters, and it has been measured: "Reaction times to neon, LED, and fast incandescent brake lamps".

Jonathan

The difference is palpable even in day light plus the LEDs react much quicker when on the brake pedal.

Yes. As above.

Did not bother with indicators as I think they are sufficient as they will get noticed when flashing.

This one bothers me. The physical separation of the factory turn indicator is poor (see GJT's improvement in #12 above) and making the tail and brake lights brighter while keeping the indicators the same could worsen the reaction time or cause them not to be noticed.

Has anyone else looked for this explicitly? Videos? Probably needs to be done both at day and night.

Jonathan