Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Recommendations for Multimeter

Ivaan

Can anyone recommend a decent multimeter?

I've got a cheap one from Halfords ( under a tenner ), but keep blowing the internal fuse. My fault I know, but if I spent a bit more, is there any that self protect without blowing fuses?

TIA.

Clive

Hi, Clive,

I would recommend Fluke multimeters. I have always  followed my Father's advice and bought the best tool that I could afford when I wanted it, and this was the best at the time. It is protected against connecting the wrong way, or with the wrong range set, and just works.

I have had mine for more than thirty years, and used it for electronics, domestic and commercial installations, as well as automotive use, and it has proved accurate and reliable. One of the reasons I bought it was that it claimed to be droppable from a supply pole without damage, and mine has certainly had it's share of knocks. 

The basic Fluke 101 is just over £50, and if the spec is what you need I would strongly recommend it based on my own experience.

HTH

Terence

Thanks for the recommendations. I think I'm slowly learning how to use them properly, and how useful they are.

Jonathon - what's the great resistance trap?

Fuse blowing when testing Ampage. Nothing registering at 10A scale, then fuse blowing when going to 200mA.

Can never find the spares!

Fluke is Rolls Royce kit. 

Instead I got one of these: https://www.workshopping.co.uk/product/power-scope-automotive-probe-0-30v/PP100/

Mine is NOT Sealy, but looks identical - seen it across the internet under different names. 

Brilliant piece of kit I am still learning to use; broke down twice in the last week and it has easily identified the problem - because it delivers 12v power on demand AND differentiates12v and earth etc etc I love my meter, but this gizmo is in a different league.

Anthony

... what's the great resistance trap?

I'm an amateur, and this is something that I mostly learned from BlatChat. Apparently the audible continuity warning can lead you to think that a circuit is good enough when in fact the resistance is inappropriately high or the smoke is actually flowing through an inappropriate pipe. 

But I still think that it's useful and can speed jobs up as long as you bear that in mind.

Jonathan

The continuity buzzer is really to indicate when buzzing through a cable or loom that you've got the right wire or connector pin, rather than guaranteeing its integrity.

Without doubt a Fluke meter is the dog's but for most of our purposes cheaper items are perfectly satisfactory.  I have a couple of multimeters from Lidl that were less than £20 and come in shock resistant cases.  I also have a couple of other cheapies that can test transistor hfe, useful if you're into electronics but not really if you're not.

I agree with JK re the extra leads with crock clips.

Paul