Click here if you are having website access problems ×

More Obvious questions

Brightonuk

What is this adjustment and how does it affect the handing of the car?

RearAjustment2-1_0.thumb.jpg.aaf9f24e69a838d4c8857c339518edb3.jpg

How does raising and lowering the adjustment ring on the shock affect the handing of the car is there a staring position?

Lastly just received the boot floor how is it secured the the car is there a kit with brackets I am missing or does it just sit unsecured 

Thanks 

The adjuster is I believe the rear anti roll bar one. Can't remember which way is which as current car doesn't have an ARB. But in short, tightening rear ARB makes it more lively and vice versae. Spring heights and ride heights affect quite a lot of things handling wise, as well as the corner wieghtings. Again, not my area of expertise, but ride heights, corner weights amd take rear to front can have major impact on handling so my starting position on such things is "go see a professional"

The photo is the rear anti roll bar which adjusts the er, roll of the car when it goes around a corner. Adjustable spring platforms adjust spring preload which can be used amongst other things to balance the car and driver and fuel etc. This needs to be done by someone who knows what they are doing though.

I’d recommend getting someone to sett the steering geometry (castor, camber, toe), corner weights and ARB all in one go to suit your use of the car and so you know where everything is set and to get the best out of your car.

Boot floor - no idea, sorry.

Cheers Andy

It basically works like a lever - the longer the ARB, the softer the roll bar and the more the axle will roll. So the softest setting is when attached at the end of the bar, and the stiffest at the other end of the set of 4 holes. Generally speaking, softer is better for road use, and hard for track. Thats me more or less exhausted my ARB knowledge! Does your build manual have initial settings? 

Boot floor is normally secured by self tapping screws.

For road use the rear arb is not really necessary.  If you want some fun and scare yourself with lots of oversteer, move those adjusters to fully hard, you will then learn not to fiddle!, As everyone has said, the car set-up should be done as a whole, ride height, rake, corner weights, front camber castor and toe, all affect how the car handles and feels.  Get used to the car, then have it set up by someone who knows how.

Is the boot floor made of plywood, in 2 halves and with a "top hat" cross section aluminium centre support bar or have you got the full aluminium job?

Either way you'll need to be creative to get a neat job, you may need to fabricate brackets to hang from the rear mudguard bolts to support the rear corners and if you have access to a Riv-nut tool it makes for a much more flexible and stronger job than self tappers as if you're able to remove the front half of the floor you can get easy access to the hand brake adjuster.

A picture of the floor and inside the boot area would be handy.

John.

OK Thanks I will play around with the anti Roll Bar position and see if it makes me a better driver

As for the boot yep it is aluminum it gets support at the back of the car but the front part has nothing to support it so it just flops back an forth 

I will get a couple of shots when I get home this evening