Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LSD driveshaft seal replacement

sprocket

Hi, has anyone out there changed a driveshaft seal on a BMW LSD as fitted to a 2012 Supersport? When I searched on line the side seal housing appeared to be bolted on but my seal just seems to be pushed into the machined diff housing. I could do with anyone's prior knowledge before I attack mine. Thanks,

I got mine out using the chisel end of a crow bar. It does take a bit of leverage to remove it and it will be scrap. Before removing it, note how far it is set in from the edge, as you can vary this if you need to avoid an existing mark on the drive shaft. When replacing, gently tap in with a flat hammer, constantly moving around the edge to keep it going in nice and square.

Job done. Popping the seal out with the chisel end of a crowbar as suggested by Mike Cocker was a doddle. Tapping the new one in was straight forward and I used a large diameter drift so the the hammer was never close to the seal itself. The hard part was undoing the diff housing filler plug which Caterham had kindly tightened to about 6,000,000 Nm. Well, nearly that number.

Went to the club monthly meeting last night and not a drop of oil on the garage floor today.

Thanks for your advise. *byebye*