Click here if you are having website access problems ×

IVA fail 3

blueyedbiker

Third fail point is a lack of tether on the fuel cap.  Fuel injected models come with a tether but not carburetted ones.  There is a handy nut on the inside of the cap on which to attach the tether but attachment inside the filler neck will be rather more bothersome and of course I'll need a suitable tether (not quite at the end of mine just yet). 

Ta, again.

Can I mention to be cautious if you drill the neck as you could get static electricity build up. Is there any way you can get an internal circlip or or one of these Spring retainers for ceiling spotlights to fit in the aperture.  You might then be able to get a fixing for your tether?

Funnily enough I was looking at those earlier today.  I ordered up the tether from "Kit cars direct" for a whopping £6.77 and over the weekend I'll whip off the filler assembly and see if there's anywhere for a clip. 

Heard back from CCC re the hubs, IVA fail 1 updated.

"03A Fuel Tanks

The fuel filler cap must either be tethered to the vehicle or be of a lockable type where the key can only be removed when the cap is locked or an automatically opening and closing, non-removable fuel filler cap
(Post 0 5 / 2009 vehicles only)"

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

fuelcaptether002_1.jpg.b81a158fb39f972c51e236c6bce7a300.jpgfuelcaptether003_0_0.jpg.0ef974e9fd8656751f71682e0175ff34.jpg

Been in the garage.  When I took off the Aero Cap assembly the solution was obvious.  From 2mm ali plate (salvaged from one of the boy's defunct scooters) I made up a ring with an internal drilled lip and it sits behind the rear flange of the filler neck and is held in place by the rubber filler tube.  The inner end of the tether (available from Kit Cars Direct) goes through the hole, from inside to out otherwise it fouls, and is secured with the screw clip supplied, the outer end attaches to the nut on the spring mechanism on the cap.

Another one bites the dust.....

Nice solution. It’s worth remembering that the pre-drilled hole in the back of the aero cap (not always present) acts as a tank breather and pressure relief often and on a long trip a situation where the fuel pump can’t pull against the lowered pressure from the tank having partially emptied and no air has been allowed in to take its place. A negative pressure when the cap is removed at fill-up after driving some distance is a pointer to this, in extreme cases I believe the cap can be unlocked but held in place appearing stuck. A lot depends on the state of the tank level sender gasket as when old and rotten some Sevens breathe through that (and leak fuel when the tank is brimmed) instead.