Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R400 Duratec - Lacking top speed.

Tomiam

I had issues at low rpm too. 2450 or thereabouts and the engine would sound 'off'. Kind of hesitate, struggling.

A fair bit of kangarooing at low speed when trying to trundle in slow moving traffic.

All gone now though.

Re. Fuel filter, i believe its in the tank but dont quote me on that.

R400 Duratec.

23k miles.

Roller barrel throttle bodies.

Dry sump.

De-cat.

214.5bhp and 159.3lb/ft at fly.

Very happy with that considering Caterham say 220bhp with RBTB. :)

Ps. Sorry about formatting.. forum doesnt like mobile phones apparently.

Not sure you are quite right ! But I'm ready to eat humble pie lol , 

The two Steves operate a single drum RR and as far as I know all measurements are taken from that, There is no or was no measurement at the flywheel when I had mine done , So BHP quoted is from the wheels and the lost horses can be put down to your gear box/diff wheel size ? .

My car also a 2ltr Duratec RBTB's wet sump and de-cat and mine came in after the magic at -216.1 BHP and 159.9 LBFT  

It would be interesting if others post their results ( Duratec only ) please for comparison 

It was at the fly.

Steve G and I had a conversation about it.

...or to be even more clear. When Steve pointed at the bhp , I said 'thats at the fly yes?'. He replied 'you're one of the few to get that right'.

I can't see it my self , he fitted no sensors on the flywheel on my car ! Obviously his laptop is connected via the socket under the dash so he can alter the map in the ecu and may well pickup the flywheel rotation sensor ? I'm not certain .

Peak power is measured at the wheels on the power run, the car is then allowed to coast down without any power input from the engine the losses measured again at the wheels are subtracted from the peak power and a power reading at the flywheel can then be calculated.  Purists would argue that only readings taken directly from the engine on a Dyno are accurate.  Glad you have found your missing power, the RR is the perfect tool for a problem such as yours.

Apologies for high jacking the thread but I find my 180 bhp 360R runs out of steam at around 110mph. It gets there quickly but acceleration really tails off at that point (never seen anymore). 

Does that sound normal and it's simply down to power verses aerodynamics etc?

Just did Brands track day yesterday in newish 360r with aero screen and couldn't get past 110mph down the straight in fourth. Whilst car feels faster than previous 310r that had more of a top end rush.  360r is very torquey and feels like its all over by 6000 revs. 

Conclusion is that i think the 310r suited track driving better?

... but I find my 180 bhp 360R runs out of steam at around 110mph.

What's the engine speed, and do you have the same sensation at that engine speed and full throttle in lower gears?

... it's simply down to power verses aerodynamics etc?

With modern logging gear can you get instantaneous forward acceleration and plot it against road speed? (Wind speed would be even better!) Most of the power's going on drag at that speed and the cube relationship should allow you to spot if something else is happening.

Jonathan

My cars fitted with the full screen so perhaps it's doing well at 110! 

Im not to sure about engine speed but as it was in top in a 5 speed 'box it must be spinning at around 5500 revs, so still plenty left. In lowers gears I'd say it pulls harder up the rev range, easily hitting the red line if your not careful. I certainly wouldn't say it's all over by 6k. I haven't got any logging gear to be able look at this much closer.

The Op originally made references to R300's as well as R400's and I guess mine car would be equivalent to the former.....

Little update..... 120 hit in 4th gear at the red line fairly quickly, just needed to hang on a little longer. I didn't have the opportunity to see how she performed beyond 120 in 5th but I suspect the alleged 130 max would take some time to achieve.